Cycling

DLR74

Hello everyone! I have a question about cycling my new tank. First a little description of what I have going. Here we go it is a 2 gallon with a hob filter filled with ceramic rings and sponge with a small bag of carbon. Lighting is a AI nano Blue. I currently have 1.5 lb of dry rock that I found on the beach and boiled with RO water and white vinegar. I have already threw in a piece of raw shrimp and removed after 48 hours. My question is will my tank cycle with all dry rock and no sand which I plan on adding this weekend. Should I buy dry or live sand for this? Thanks all!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes your tank will cycle with all dry rock, especially with adding the shrimp.

DLR74

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think 48 hours was long enough to keep the shrimp in there?

saltfan

usually ya leave them in until they disappear but that might take awhile in a tank that small, I myself would have left it a bit longer. I would go with the live sand.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Ditto, leaving it in there to help cycle your tank properly. Are you testing your ammonia & nitrites everyday?
Either sand will work but my choice would be dry so that I could RINSE IT VERY WELL so the water doesn't stay clouded for a long time.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The typical cycle:

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg

Steve L

Even though you boiled your rocks there will be residual organic material on them that will replace the shrimp. Even cooked, the little critters that lived on the rock will decompose and create amonia.

Just give it some time.