Cycle stalled?

InLimbo87

Hi guys!

Well, after a few days of cycling my Nanocube I saw nothing for ammonia/trites/trates for a couple of days. I expected this as the rock was very well cured and I didn't expect any die-off to start my cycle. So, I put in a jumbo raw shrimp from the grocery store for 24 hours. The ammonia spiked, but it has been days and it isn't going anywhere.

Is it possible that my rock has lots its beneficial bacteria while curing? If so, is there a way to replace that? Am I just being impatient? Past tank cycles of mine didn't go through as much of a spike, so I don't know what to expect. Thanks for any help guys :)

InLimbo87

actually looks like its going somewhere actually, as i saw the first sign of nitrites this morning. They're low, but at least that may be showing some progress.

goldenmean

Did you take the raw shrimp out after 24 hours?
I think you are supposed to leave it there for several days.

InLimbo87

I planned on leaving it in for only long enough to spike the ammonia up. It only took 24 hours as it was a decent sized shrimp, so I took it out. The problem I'm having is that the ammonia will not go down. I just think I haven't given the tank enough time yet to work its magic. I am getting tons of diatoms, though, which I've always taken as a sign of progress.