cycle question

turn8299

I finally got my pod set up. Should I cycle with live fish or dead shrimp. I have never did it the shrimp way so please someone tell me the steps if that is easier, plus I wont possibly kill any fish. I have cycled with damsels in the past and never lost any. I want the best way...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

plahka

Shrimp. There really are no steps. you just ahave to test your parameters and wait it out. If you just want nitrifying bacteria then let it go. If you want to preserve critter life on the rock you will have to do water changes and the cycle will take longer.

LiVEWiRE

IMO I would go to your LFS and pick up some Bio-Spira It is refrigerated Live nitrifying bacteria. Then I would add my live fish. That is only if you have let your tank run for a week or so already. I normally let mine run for a few weeks and then add my Bio-Spira. Just make sure you add it right before you add your fish. The last tank I cycled I let run for about a month then added my Bio-Spira then my clean up crew right after and then about 5 corals and about a week after that I added 3 fish.

IMO I don't believe that starting a new tank with something dead is the way to go. That's why I use that and I have had nothing but great success with it. Hope this helps you out.