Cycle issues

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Hello everyone, it's been about 8 years since I have kept any aquariums, and when I did it was reef aquariums rather than fish only.

My daughter convinced me to set up a tank so she could bring her clownfish she got in her marine biology class home. I thought, no problem, we have everything we need, and enough time to cycle the tank before school ends. So I set up the 20gallon long tank, it has a hang on the back sump and an aqua-c remora protein skimmer. It has a plastic coral decoration and a previously live rock (the rock had been dry for about 8 years and all decorations were bleached prior to placing in the tank) the tank has 2-14w actinic cfl lights and a 250w metal halide the lights weren't run at all for the first 4 weeks and now they are run only a couple hours out of the day.

A couple of weeks ago I finally received my test kit (I had been feeding the tank pieces of dead fish to cycle the tank, no inhabitants) and tested. Ammonia was 0 as was nitrite. I allowed my daughter to bring home a hermit crab to put in the tank, his name is Bob, and Bob is having a great time and appears to be doing well. But...there is always a but, the ammonia is now 8ppm and nitrite still appears to be 0.

My issue is my daughter has to bring home her clownfish on Monday. I am headed today to the "not so LFS" to, have them test my water and hopefully pick up some live sand and some cured live rock, and maybe make a hotel arrangement for the clownfish.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on kick starting this cycle in gear? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Kevin, Welcome back!

The hotel situation with the LFS is a good idea but if you have to use your tank, I think ample Live rock and a water change every 2-3 days should push you past the danger zone.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Kevin, it sounds to me like you had your cycle but not enough surface ie. rock to support enough for the inhabitants waste production, you could get a hob filter,more rock etc but like PSU4Meeeeeeee said ''water change every 2-3 days should push you past the danger zone. '' just let the system build up more, you can use Prime to detoxify ammonia in an emergency

Clownfish are very hardy, but if you're worried about ammonia build up, setting up a spare 10 gallon tank should give you peace of mind. More live rock!

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Thanks for all the advice. The LFS had some cured LR and I got some LS as well. I did a large water change added about 16lbs of LR and the LS. I picked up some prime (just in case). And I have plenty of salt for water changes.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks for all the advice. The LFS had some cured LR and I got some LS as well. I did a large water change added about 16lbs of LR and the LS. I picked up some prime (just in case). And I have plenty of salt for water changes.

nice, and todays question.... when does your tank start haha