cycle boost supplementation?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
No I'm not giving up that easy. A new tank nitrogen cycle is only part of the cycle that keeps things alive. The process is too unstable early on even after the nitrogen cycle completes to sustain livestock. :banghead:

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
No I'm not giving up that easy. A new tank nitrogen cycle is only part of the cycle that keeps things alive. The process is too unstable early on even after the nitrogen cycle completes to sustain livestock. :banghead:

stay on target! the topic is cycle boosting additives, segways are confusing lol

steved13

PREMIUM
I figured I better agree with you now so I can avoid an additional curse. And, I had to agree...I kept falling over when I tried a segway

chelseagrin

thank you all for the great info, im planning on just cycling the old way i figure this is not a great time to experiment with cutting corners.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
thank you all for the great info, im planning on just cycling the old way i figure this is not a great time to experiment with cutting corners.

the old way does work lol, just really not convinced any corners are available for cutting

chelseagrin

yean i am not really either i was just seeing if some breakthrough had happened and i didnt know about it. but i guess not. lol

Funlad3

I hate to say it, but I too am with Matt here, or at least the second thing he said. Let's see if my punctuation can help explain. :lol:

Anyways, we all agree that there is the cycle ammonia up, ammonia down, nitrites up, nitrites down, nitrates up, nitrates down and done. That's the normal cycle.

All the same, there is still the algae phase and the diatom blooms. These can persist months, even years, into a setup if the tank is not properly balanced. The cause of this is, undoubtedly, nutrient buildup. The cycled bacteria are not able to process the amounts of nutrients being put into the tank. As this happens, the algae blooms. Even though the tank may have just finished cycling, the bacteria are unable to catch up.

So, in my opinion, old tank syndrome and new tank syndrome are, in effect, not cause, the same thing.

If a cycle is a circle, then there are no corners to be cut in the first place! :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I hate to say it, but I too am with Matt here, or at least the second thing he said. Let's see if my punctuation can help explain. :lol:

Anyways, we all agree that there is the cycle ammonia up, ammonia down, nitrites up, nitrites down, nitrates up, nitrates down and done. That's the normal cycle.

All the same, there is still the algae phase and the diatom blooms. These can persist months, even years, into a setup if the tank is not properly balanced. The cause of this is, undoubtedly, nutrient buildup. The cycled bacteria are not able to process the amounts of nutrients being put into the tank. As this happens, the algae blooms. Even though the tank may have just finished cycling, the bacteria are unable to catch up.

So, in my opinion, old tank syndrome and new tank syndrome are, in effect, not cause, the same thing.

If a cycle is a circle, then there are no corners to be cut in the first place! :D

even punctuational aide is a stretch haha.

"Anyways, we all agree that there is the cycle ammonia up, ammonia down, nitrites up, nitrites down, nitrates up, nitrates down and done. That's the normal cycle."

agree Mostly... nitrates will not go down unassisted ie. water changes, chemical/mechanical/biological.

"All the same, there is still the algae phase and the diatom blooms. These can persist months, even years, into a setup if the tank is not properly balanced. The cause of this is, undoubtedly, nutrient buildup. The cycled bacteria are not able to process the amounts of nutrients being put into the tank. As this happens, the algae blooms. Even though the tank may have just finished cycling, the bacteria are unable to catch up. "

isn't this a moot point? our tanks never process enough excess, its a closed circuit, without intervention we add to the load so this is not a system issue its a reefer issue.
As for algae cycles.. is it a "cycle" or the natural regrowth of spores,seeds,roots etc, I have added 0 to my tank for at least 2 years and last week Halimeda appeared, haven't seen that in my tank for at least 4 yrs.

As to tanks handling bioload at the "end of the Nitrogen cycle" its about mass, when we do it with a shrimp, it can handle a shrimp for a short time only, the masses must be fed, its a slow process, adding ammonia,urine,shrimp,snakeoil all will end with similar results (a limited biological factory) that is more often overworked before its time.

old tank and new tank syndrome are nothing alike, NTS is the beginnings of life and renovation, OTS is pollution,contamination and destruction, blah,blah,blahblahblahburp

dmatt88

Ben I take back everything bad I ever said about u. Haha. But Ur right dude. Reefs continue to cycle n.... oh man. Were off topic allow me to digress.

Cycle boosters suck.

Funlad3

Ben I take back everything bad I ever said about u. Haha.

You said something bad about me?

pollution,contamination and destruction, blah,blah,blahblahblahburp

I can't compete with that! Have you ever ran for a political office Sas? :)

I guess it depends what you consider Old Tank Syndrome and New Tank Syndrome. For me, NTS is a buildup of nutrients that the filtration cannot neutralize faster than the algae utilizes them. For me, OTS is buildup of nutrients that neither algae or filtration can neutralize, leading to a drop in pH killing everything.

Can we at least agree on this:

NTS=Bad=OTS

?

:D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
You said something bad about me?

I can't compete with that! Have you ever ran for a political office Sas? :)

I guess it depends what you consider Old Tank Syndrome and New Tank Syndrome. For me, NTS is a buildup of nutrients that the filtration cannot neutralize faster than the algae utilizes them. For me, OTS is buildup of nutrients that neither algae or filtration can neutralize, leading to a drop in pH killing everything.

Can we at least agree on this:

NTS=Bad=OTS

?

:D

weve all said bad stuff about you lol.

Kings are not politicians ...

no, haha