Cyano Help

nightfire76

hey guys i need help with cyano...just started popping up on my sand....my fuge is a mess with hair and that and thats easy to clean out but other then cutting food serving, cutting lights back and water changes what else can i do to help it?

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph around 8.0
phospate reading 0 but thats cause i got hair algae out my butt
calcium around 410
mag i dont know
alkalinity pretty low at around 2.0 - 2.5 meg/l

anything else i can do to get rid of this before it gets bad?
btw yes i use ro di water at 0ppm
but i havent always so all this is due to tap water use....any advice is welcomed

Val

Using a turkey baster or I prefer 1/4 flexible tubing, suck the cyano out daily and up your flow.

BLAKEJOHN

You dont have enough flow across the sand bed surface. You may have 38x turn over but where is the flow really? That is the key, not just that you have a lot of flow.

nightfire76

thats true....not sure what i can do with my 2 koralias though....i got my koralias 4 pointing straight accross the tank and my koralia 3 pointed downwards to flow behind my rocks and back all some.....maybe if i move the #3 to more in the middle of the side wall like my other one and have it face the sand that might help but then i might need a 3rd one for the back lol

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do you run a skimmer ? if so skimming wet will help :)

also check how old are the bulbs, older bulbs shift in spectrum and emit yellowish colors which will promote growth of Cyano.
good luck :)