Cyano bloom

JKT69

Seemingly over night...this morning, BOOM, there it is. I went to LFS for 8 gallons of salt for my 34g RSM, I have been doing about 25% water change a week for the past 3 weeks so I was already planning on this. Turkey bastered the rocks to get the funk suspended in the water column, vacuumed out as much as I could and vacuumed the substrate. Replaced my 100ml purigan bag and added 2 in the media rack, changed out the mechanical filter, added some more cheato, ordered new lights, even though mine are only a couple months old and ordered purigren phosban 100ml bags x6 of those. Not feeding or running lights today. Changed the mp10 from nutrient export mode to random reef and things already look better.

I know it's cause I fed too much, but my new clown gobys don't eat when it's time so I've tried target feeding them and they still don't get to it. The pellets sink so fast the clowns don't get half of it, so I'm going to research exactly how much and how to feed fish.

Anything else I should do? I use ro/di for top off water. Tank temp 78. Ph 8.3-8.4.

Thanks.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Feed less buddy. Ud b shocked how little food clowns need. Also do u have t5 lights? Any other macro algae in the sump?

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Seemingly over night...this morning, BOOM, there it is. I went to LFS for 8 gallons of salt for my 34g RSM, I have been doing about 25% water change a week for the past 3 weeks so I was already planning on this. Turkey bastered the rocks to get the funk suspended in the water column, vacuumed out as much as I could and vacuumed the substrate. Replaced my 100ml purigan bag and added 2 in the media rack, changed out the mechanical filter, added some more cheato, ordered new lights, even though mine are only a couple months old and ordered purigren phosban 100ml bags x6 of those. Not feeding or running lights today. Changed the mp10 from nutrient export mode to random reef and things already look better.

I know it's cause I fed too much, but my new clown gobys don't eat when it's time so I've tried target feeding them and they still don't get to it. The pellets sink so fast the clowns don't get half of it, so I'm going to research exactly how much and how to feed fish.

Anything else I should do? I use ro/di for top off water. Tank temp 78. Ph 8.3-8.4.

Thanks.

Where are you putting the cheato? This is the RSM130 or 130d.

I have a 130d and I have the In Tank media rank. Is that where you are putting it?

If so does it get enough light back there?

JKT69

I will feed less, I was concerned because I have not seen the clown gobys eat since they went in last Saturday.

I have the cheato in the skimmer cup. And it does not restrict flow.

JKT69

Yes I have t5's stock RSM lights. I do not have a sump or refugium. Still waiting on the skimmer since the Tunze died.

dmatt88

I know nothing about rsm tanks. However I know id get a cyano outbreak every time my t5s needed replaced. New bulbs cyano leaves.

dmatt88

What kind of bulbs did u decide on. Geissman is my personal choice.

JKT69

What do you do when fish won't eat? Or are they eating and I don't see it? Can they go a week with no food?

dmatt88

Ya they can go a week n they find food. If fish aren't eating it may be as simple as not liking dinner. Are u swapping up foods? Or it may be as my watchman goby. I've never once seen it eat. Never. But he's fat n sassy so I don't worry.

Doogle

If the bulbs are only 3 months old I doubt the lights are the problem. Yes ATI or other good bulbs will fit the RSM fixture.
If you haven't seen your fish eat for that long I would be concerned too. Clowns aren't too picky about food either so can you see anything else that could be wrong with it? Some fish will not eat for certain reasons like pregnant, sick or parasites, etc.
I'd start attacking the cyno directly and remove as much of it as i could ad syphon the tank well, then add GFO and carbon and add more flow to the tank. Adding more clean up crew like stirrers, hermits etc. Adding a good old piece of live rock that has a bunch of life in it may help give you some beneficial creatures that are good filter feeders.
It's much easier to keep cyno away than treat for it, good luck!:smack: keep at it!

Replacement RSM bulbs. I'm not sure if other brands will fit...?

Check out some of the posts in the RSM club forum.

Here is one a ran across.

www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/40252-rsm-130-130d-mods-5.html#post849374[/url

JKT69

Thanks everyone. After doing all I stated it seems to be gone. It was there looking all nasty. I run to store for more saltwater, gone almost 2 hours and when I got back, poof, barely anything of it remains.

dmatt88

Typically when u syphon it'll leave. Next day its back without changes.

JKT69

Typically when u syphon it'll leave. Next day its back without changes.

I ran the lights for an hour yesterday, have read some posts about cutting back to maybe 4 hours a day, but I think I'm going to run light out another couple days...this morning I see no signs of it. It was there after I cleaned and scrubbed, was gone a couple hours and when I got home it was gone, still no signs of it. Weird...where did it go?

When I feed the fish do I need to turn the lights on?

How do I feed fish? Only the clowns know when it is feeding time, the shrimp and yellow clown gobys have no idea...what do y'all do?

Choff

Did you say you got the outbreak after you got the 8gal from lfs or did you do that after for a wc as a response to the outbreak? Just wondering if it was time for the LFS to replace their media?

Sent from my VZ Galaxy S3 w/freshly unlocked bootloader using Tapatalk 2

JKT69

No it started showing up Friday. I already planned an 8g wc for Saturday. I cleaned it out added new water and cyano was still there. Replaced filtration then headed back to store for more water and cheato. When I got back the cyano was gone.