Cutting THICK plexiglass

ScottT1980

Ok, so I have another question regarding my baffles...

With my previous sump designs, I got some pretty thin pieces of plexiglass, pieces that could easily be scored with a straight-edge razor. Because I am working with a 30 gallon tank now, I bought a much thicker piece of plexiglass. I have a nice plastic cutting knife but I don't know if it is going to do the job...

I thought about a circular saw, turning the blade around so that the teeth spin "away" from the plexiglass but I am afraid it might crack the piece.

Any ideas or do you think a knife will work?

Thanks
Scott T.

Pakmule

First how thick is thick....If it's a 1/4" you can use your circular saw how many teeth on your blade you want at least 60. Then just take your time through the cut Shouldn't be a problem make sure it's supported. I like using my table saw easier to keep a straight cut.

ScottT1980

It is 3/16" thick...so it is still relatively flexible...

I am scoring right now just to see if it is going to work (I have plenty to work with) but it is certainly a tedious process...

I might have to buy a new blade if I want to use a circular saw (wish I had a table saw)...

Thanks
Scott T.

Pakmule

Yeah 3/16" isn't really to thick and because it's so flexible it may crack unless supported real good. Like putting it on a piece of plywood and cutting both at the same time. Using a knife has got to be tough.

Pro_builder

If you get a blade for your circular saw, get a carbide tipped blade, there is more set to the blade, therefore you have less heat that is transfered to the plexiglass.

Dennis7

I agree with Pro_Builder to get a carbide blade. I use a 80 tooth blade on my 10" tablesaw. If your circular saw is 7 1/4" dia blade use something like a 40 tooth carbide blade with Alternate Top Bevel teeth.

wooddood

the wood dude
they sell laminate blades that are carbide toothed,less chipping but they cost a little more,if not go with pros idea but i would get as many teeth as possible,finer cut just dont rush it.cut slower and at a steady speed to keep from melting the plastic.

Last edited:

jks1

agree with above, you can cut acrylic or plexi with a circular saw or table saw. Blades w/ more than 60 teeth are best. You can use a blowtorch to smooth the edges after you glue it up.

ScottT1980

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and I definitly know what I will do NEXT time. It took me a good 2 hours to hand cut 4 pieces with a plasti cutting knife...

It was very tedious and very slow going but I think I have them sufficiently cut. Have a couple siliconed in and it is just a waiting game at this point.

Karma to everyone!!

Take er easy
Scott T.