Custom stand

reeferman

ouch!my toes hurt!haha j/k!
the professional ones seem to fail because most aquarists dont clean up their spills very well and not because they didnt use 2x4s.saltwater in unfinished joints wreak havoc on wood.they dont use them because its a totally unnecessary added step and waste of lumber.my stands are not built quite the same way as factory units.on the other hand,overbuilding is never a bad thing and a stand has never failed because it had too much support.that frame you have built will hold up a pack of elephants with reef tanks.lol.

ScottB

here's my two cents regarding beefy vs slimlined stands:

95% of us on here are not carpenters and nor do we truly KNOW the stress loads per 1/2" of wood. Therefore, we use 2x4's to beef up the stand. As stated, no stands have broken or failed bc of too much support. There also seems to still be ample room for sump and equipment. Rather than take risks, why not use a little extra support for a dramatic increase in peace of mind.

If you're capable and confident in using plywood only, go for it. But like you said, if you make small minor mistakes in the assembly or in the maintenance of it, you may come home one day to 120 gallons of water on the floor... better safe than sorry

reeferman

correct,most are not carpenters,i am.thats why i was giving advice on how to build a professional,VERY strong,functional stand without all the time and wasted wood.in no way is a 3/4" inch plywood stand weaker than a 2x4 framed one,youre fooling yourself because the bulky one "looks" stronger.i assure you it is not.plywood has a much higher vertical shear rating than a 2x4.thats why all of todays construction has gotten away from dimensional lumber for long,unsupported spans in favor of LVLs[ plywood strips glued together.]like you said,most people dont know the stress loads of wood,i do.trust me,i would never,ever give someone the advice to build a "chincy" stand.i never have to worry about my 120 gallons on the floor,i assure you.

ScottB

well, you're advice is much appreciated and thanks for you insight. It's good to have people who are specialized in different areas that are able to contribute to the rest of us.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm having a stand made for me by a cabinet maker-finisher guy and he is building it out of plywood. It seems when it is done right that it works very well but in the end, better safe than sorry!

The thing that scares me is I asked him about building a side door and he said no, didn't ant to compromise the stand strength. But online (rjaquatics), they build plywood stands and were OK with the side door so.....

You could get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls butt, but i'll take the butchers word for it :)

Brandon78

Yea I defiantly appreciate all your help. I am not an exp carpenter at all haha. I like plywood stands but me not knowing squat about em made me nervous which is why we went with 2x4s. We're gonna try to get the sides on tonight and finish what we can then I'll get you guys another pic. Again thanks for all the help and advice guys I appreciate it!!

reeferman

Bryan,just have him double up on the plywood on the sides,that will carry the load over the door.trust me,you really want those doors on the sides.you will kick yourself later if you dont put them there!

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
gareeferman said:
ouch!my toes hurt!haha j/k!
the professional ones seem to fail because most aquarists dont clean up their spills very well and not because they didnt use 2x4s.saltwater in unfinished joints wreak havoc on wood.they dont use them because its a totally unnecessary added step and waste of lumber.my stands are not built quite the same way as factory units.on the other hand,overbuilding is never a bad thing and a stand has never failed because it had too much support.that frame you have built will hold up a pack of elephants with reef tanks.lol.

That's just what I mean. At least spills on 2x4s won't degrade as fast as plywood or particle board...
And again, I wasn't trying to undermine someone with a lot of experience, but I'd rather see an amateur over build and be safe than "build like a factory" does and miss some key aspect or design note and have a major accident.

For his tank size, would .75" ply be plenty strong? Maybe. Would I recommend someone else risk it in their house with their tank near their kids? No, but just solely because I'd feel responsible if something did happen. That's all I was trying to convey...

....Color by Technicolor....

reeferman

heres my stand opened up.notice no center brace in between front doors.the load is being carried by doubling up on the front 3/4"plywood panel.note its a solid plywood panel with hole cut out instead of 4 individual boards which would have compromised strength.
42ebb1d0.jpg

ae8ca17b.jpg

to give the illusion that theres a center brace,just glue and pin nail a 1x to the back of one door
45dd1867.jpg

cbcba36d.jpg

just for giggles,heres the canopy
bfb795fa.jpg

flip top
410b6e1f.jpg

b9d85c69.jpg

sk8rdn

Very beautiful. And obviously well built too. Kudos to you, sir. Maybe you should swing by my place and build my 350 stand and shelves... :)

reeferman

its not the wood that degrades as quick,its the glue and fastners.both stands should have that.3/4" is plenty to hold up his tank.mine is 120g.
as for me recommending something that would injure kids if it failed,thats absurd and a really big stretch on your part.i have kids,do you think i would risk my kids???the op asked for suggestions,i gave them to them.just because you dont know enough about carpentry and dont feel comfortable with my extensively tried and tested building techniques,doesnt mean that you should portray me as irresponsible for suggesting it be built the professional way.

sk8rdn

gareeferman said:
its not the wood that degrades as quick,its the glue and fastners.both stands should have that.3/4" is plenty to hold up his tank.mine is 120g.
as for me recommending something that would injure kids if it failed,thats absurd and a really big stretch on your part.i have kids,do you think i would risk my kids???the op asked for suggestions,i gave them to them.just because you dont know enough about carpentry and dont feel comfortable with my extensively tried and tested building techniques,doesnt mean that you should portray me as irresponsible for suggesting it be built the professional way.

I think you need to slow a bit here. I in no way suggest you were irresponsible, nor negligent. I just said that it was not something I'd recommend a novice to attempt. He may miss something and if I had encouraged him to do it and it failed, I, key phrase, I would feel responsible.
And yes, I know quite a bit about carpentry, but as stated, what I may be willing to try and what I'd tell someone else to try is totally different.
I wouldn't tell a novice to go monkeying around in their breaker box, but I know my way around one, so I would. I wouldn't tell him to just because if there was some small step or technique that is very routine to me I might forget to point it out to him. It could end badly.
Case in point: the mis communications we have had back and forth here when there was NO ILL meant. Same can happen with technical instructions.
Again, I'm very glad a pro is weighing in. And it is appreciated. I'm just saying he couldn't have gone wrong with reinforcement. Or better joint construction. Not all techniques are self evident to novices.

Thanks for listening, and allowing me to present my views.

Bill

steved13

PREMIUM
I think we have one of those cases where the typed word doesn't convey the proper "tone".

Learning as always from Reggie, and I can fully respect that, I wouldn't know what the heck I was doing so, I'd go with something stupid over built and probably more trouble than it's worth ('m not saying anyone else would I just know my limits):)

I don't think any ill will was meant for either.

reeferman

completely understood,no ill will here either.clear case of the typed word showing no deflection.sorry if i came across harsh,not my intent.
thats why i gave my advice,to let it be known that all the extra lumber and time is not necessary so that others will learn.as i said,no stand has ever failed do to being overbuilt[it may have caused a few backaches from being too heavy though!]sometimes you have to think of resale also,a furniture grade stand will always hold more value than a 2x stand.anyone in the know will easily see that the stand was built by a novice.still,nothing wrong with that.
also,theres really no special jointery or techniques involved in the load bearing aspect of my stands.it is pretty much a plywood box with trim.the box,anyone with an inkling of carpentry skills could make those cuts and glue and screw them together.i wouldnt recommend anything to anyone that would require some trade secrets to execute.
again,no ill will intended as i enjoy being a productive member of the friendliest forum on the web.sorry if i made it feel a little less friendly.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great stand Reggie.....mine is very similar to you minus the flip up canopy and the side doors. My canopy doros will open fully for access.

I'll post pics :)