Custom build vs all in one

Matt spivey

Hi all, I'm looking at upgrading from my rsm130d in the near future. I want something not too big but bigger than my current tank.

I've looked at the rsm250 (affordable, decent size for my small space) and the rsm s-400 I like these because they're all in one and neat. I also trust the brand.

I spoke to my LFS guy though and he said for the money he would get a custom build with sump on etc.

I want radion lights and with the s-400 I could just take the good off and put radions above it. Sump skimmer etc are already built in.
Custom build I would have to buy all of these things seperately and find a way to mount them.

The 250 is £1299
The s-400 is £3,040 plus radions £3540
The custom build would be a heck of a lot!

Inputs please!
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer gladness

Personally I'm done with all-in-one tanks and would recommend a drilled tank for an experienced reefer. You have more options with a drilled tank and it often ends up being cheaper as you don't buy the same items twice (like the stock T-5 lights you would pay for if you bought the S-400 and then put Radions over it).

Why a custom build? Is there an odd space you're trying to fit? A standard sized 120g with starphire glass on 3 sides, oak cabinet and 40g sump would run about $2000 in the US and leave plenty of room in the budget for other equipment.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I agree.....the more experienced you get the more flexibility you'll want in a tank to do it your way. The all-in-one tanks are great but i've seen too many people mod the heck out of it over time (probably as experience grows).

That's just my thought......i had the same thought as you when I was getting a big tank and I'm glad I went with my own build.

DaveK

I'd go a step further. I'd figure out the livestock I wanted to keep, and custom build my system around that. However, I've been keeping SW systems for many years, and know what I want out of the system. Someone with less experience could make mistakes and end up buying equipment twice, to get things right.

It will take longer to put together a custom setup. It will likely cost more, if you buy all new equipment. The big plus is that it's all happening your way.

Lastly, I would not allow my LFS or any other LFS to "custom build" a systems for me. Most would not or could not build it the way I wanted.

Matt spivey

Thanks for the info, my LFS owner has a main parent company that builds aquariums. Mainly for big hotels etc, kinda like on fish tank kings. I would trust him to do it cos he has his own in the store that was $24,000 including corals rock fish etc. my budget is pathetic compared to that.

There's no awkward space I just want a standard size but can't decide how big I want to go because of water changes and cost.

The problems doing it myself are:
acquiring the tank (cabinet sump that has space for what I want etc)

choosing equipment that will fit and how to plumb it all (I know good skimmers etc just not where I'd mount them)

I want radions but don't want them exposed and dangling from strings on the roof, I want them behind a facade.

reefer gladness

So how much space do you have for the tank itself? Starting with the footprint of the tank you can work backwards to figure out what standard sized aquariums would fit. With a standard sized aquarium you should easily be able to find a cabinet to match.

Sump design could be a simple berlin style setup or you can do something more complex with a refugium, etc. if that's of interest. The skimmer goes in the sump with a drilled tank and plenty of folks here can offer input on sump designs if needed.

Not wanting to hang the Radions from the ceiling is the only tricky part. If you want them hidden then they need to be mounted inside hood. There are two concerns putting LED's inside a hood: height above the water and cooling. LED's need to be a set distance away from the water, the distance varies by the degree of optics used etc. but most manufacturers recommend their lights be placed a good 12 inches away from the water. They can be placed closer of course but the spread isn't as wide and you may need more LED's to cover the same area.

Bottom line is you may need a custom hood here that is a little taller than normal to give you that extra space for the Radions. It's not terribly difficult, I'm no master craftsman and I managed to build my hood from solid oak. And it's worth it too, I would really hate having a bunch of high-powered LED light spilling out all over my living room.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Check out my build, you'll see what I did from scratch, it may help.

Matt spivey

Ok I'll check it out now

@ Reefer gladness: I don't know which units you're used to but I'd say about 1.5-2 metres wide at most and about 80cm deep (on the sides) I could fit an rsm250 easily or have a move around and even fit an s-400.

I saw a guy with his radion on a hook coming from the back of his tank which I preferred rather than from wire on the roof.

I don't mind all in ones as they do the job and look neat but if I could get a neat looking, organised, clean custom set up ill do that. I'll have to check peoples chronicles to see what they've done too

Matt spivey

I've just read that at Interzoo 2014 ecotech have announced a bracket for the radions to be released August/sept 2014! They look good too it's just an arm you clip onto the back glass of your tank

Aquadude

There is a video showing the new mount on YouTube. I'm not sure if I can post the link here but you can find it on YouTube by searching for
The Long Anticipated Radion Tank Mount

Matt spivey

Yeah I saw it on bulk reef supply, this encourages me towards a custom build even more!

I measured a good tank space today and it was 168cm wide and 56cm deep.

Anyone know any common tank sizes that would fit here? Big as poss in te space

Choff

I don't suggest a 400 if you are going with radions. You will be ditching the hood, you won't need a chiller now without all those t5s burning. You will still have that chiller compartment and a really really tiny sump with very little room to do anything.

RSM is great for first time tank owners and non tweakers. I love my 650, but I have gutted it with upgrades and changes.

...stupid auto correct

Matt spivey

It was kinda a 400 or radions now because if I'm paying that much for a 400 I can't be bothered adding them but I definitely want to do it all myself now but need to find a good tank. What's the most common sizes usually e.g 2x2x2 and so on

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I like a tank with 2' back to front, allows for a lot more options inside. Don't get a tall build though, you'll have issues getting to the bottom and back of the tank.

Choff

I like a tank with 2' back to front, allows for a lot more options inside. Don't get a tall build though, you'll have issues getting to the bottom and back of the tank.

You just need to grow some more.

...stupid auto correct