Current T5 Bulb Life

Hi All,

I have a Sundial 36" T5 fixure with 39wx4 bulbs (Current). The photo period is about 5-6 hrs a day for 10 months. Do I need to replace the bulbs now or I can wait another 2-3 months before I put the new bulbs in.

Also, what bulbs that would promote coral growth? Someone suggested ATI blue plus & GE 6500k bulb (it is made in China, worry about its quality and bulb life).

I appreciate all comments and advices.

Reddog170

With T5 I like to replace the bulbs every 6 to 8 months. I think I would run a 10000k and a 14000k plus you atinic. The better the bulb the better the light. For me I prefer the German made bulbs, but I am picky. Best of luck, Shaun

With T5 I like to replace the bulbs every 6 to 8 months. I think I would run a 10000k and a 14000k plus you atinic. The better the bulb the better the light. For me I prefer the German made bulbs, but I am picky. Best of luck, Shaun

People said T5 bulbs have life of 9-10 months. How long do you leave the lights on everyday?

I was told the GE 6500k has a yellowish color and it is like the nature sun light. Therefore, it promotes corals growth. Any comments?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
most of us aim for 6-8 months as stated above as far as the 65k promoting growth of corals I'm sure it does cause it's closer to the sun spectrium but it also promotes the growth of algae. Corals grow fine under 10k-20k and look so much better the 65k will give you a nice brownish yelllow color which is not very appealing to most of us.

Is there a way to tell whether the bulbs are need to be replaced just by looking at the corals in the tank?

I'm assuming the corals are wide open means they are getting enough light from the bulbs. Am I correct on this concept?

Reddog170

Not always. They may just open big to try to get more light. A par meter would tell you how well your lights are doing, but they are spendy. If you look at your bulbs and see a darker area at one end then they are used up. They may still light but they are not operating to full capacity. I like atinics on for like 8 hours and have scaled back the other light to about 6 hours. It is easy to have your lights on to long. I mean we like to see our corals and fish. Shaun

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The 9-12 months is recommended by the manufacture, this is just a sales pitch they use, when T5ho were introduced if they stated the bulbs needed replaced every 6 months they would have lost a lot of interest since their main selling point is the hugh savings using these vs metal halides or other forms of lighting.

As with everything the manufactures always over rate their products to generate more sales.