Current Red Sea Tanks Question

Pat24601

So, I LOVE my C-250. However, for various reasons I'll get into at some point, I'm considering going bigger.

Anyway, I was looking at the current Red Sea tanks and it looks to me like they have really gotten away from the closed tank look. For example. I thought the old S-500 had a closed hood and now it seems to have open LEDs. I'm assuming they didn't like LEDs in the hood like many of us are doing.

An open tank is a non-starter for me, unfortunately. I'm afraid my nearly 3 olds will do all sorts of bad things with an open top (in fact I'm quite sure of it). I also just prefer the closed hood look.

Am I basically correct that if I want a closed look, I'm basically out of luck with current Red Sea line?

Big Pete

Hi Pat

I think you are correct, they seem to be going down the open top reefer look at the moment, I am sure with a bit of research you find what you want.

Just as a matter of interest how big where you thinking ?

I would love to upgrade but even the mention of this to my wife may bring a heart attack and we don't want that.

Good luck with the research

Cheers

Big Pete

Pat24601

Hi Pat

I think you are correct, they seem to be going down the open top reefer look at the moment, I am sure with a bit of research you find what you want.

Just as a matter of interest how big where you thinking ?

I would love to upgrade but even the mention of this to my wife may bring a heart attack and we don't want that.

Good luck with the research

Cheers

Big Pete

Thanks, Pete! That's what it looked like to me. My LFS has folks that do custom cabinets, so I can always go that route and a custom build for my tank if I want.

I have a 65 gallon now (RSM 250). I was thinking 100 - 120? Need to measure it out and look more closely. My LFS says to stress to the spouse that it is "only X inches bigger than the old one!" because that sounds like less than 65 to 120, which sounds like it is monstrously bigger.

My wife wants to paint the room my tank is in. There really is no way to do that without tearing the tank down and moving it (then moving it back). I'm kind of thinking while I'm doing all of that work, might as well upgrade. Although, I like my tank size fine. I really love my tank. Just kind of considering taking the opportunity to go bigger.

If I do this, I'm going to have a zillion questions on what to do with livestock while cycling a new tank...

mtsully71

So, I LOVE my C-250. However, for various reasons I'll get into at some point, I'm considering going bigger.

Anyway, I was looking at the current Red Sea tanks and it looks to me like they have really gotten away from the closed tank look. For example. I thought the old S-500 had a closed hood and now it seems to have open LEDs. I'm assuming they didn't like LEDs in the hood like many of us are doing.

An open tank is a non-starter for me, unfortunately. I'm afraid my nearly 3 olds will do all sorts of bad things with an open top (in fact I'm quite sure of it). I also just prefer the closed hood look.

Am I basically correct that if I want a closed look, I'm basically out of luck with current Red Sea line?

Yep you be hosed it looks like, but those MAX E's are sweet............Just get the chitlins a snorkel and mask and let em get some real reef experience :D

That's a tough one Pat, I am not familiar enough with all the tank options, but you may need a cabinet

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Folks the move from closed topped to open topped aquariums is fuelled by customer demand, typically customers now want LED lighting, all the research undertaken by Red Sea Scientists suggested that with current LED technology we do not think that its suitable for a closed lid aquarium which is simply the reason you have not seen a retro fitting LED system for the closed topped Max range. Whilst we know this means the open topped Max aquarium is not for everyone we continue to develop aquariums where the animals well being comes before anything else.

Pat24601

Folks the move from closed topped to open topped aquariums is fuelled by customer demand, typically customers now want LED lighting, all the research undertaken by Red Sea Scientists suggested that with current LED technology we do not think that its suitable for a closed lid aquarium which is simply the reason you have not seen a retro fitting LED system for the closed topped Max range. Whilst we know this means the open topped Max aquarium is not for everyone we continue to develop aquariums where the animals well being comes before anything else.

First, thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. It probably means I'll be looking elsewhere for my upgrade (if I do one), but that's no problem. Red Sea has done great by me with their tanks and I'll continue to say so to anyone that asks.

I do find the tone of the last line a little pretentious. Many of us have been using modified Red Sea closed hood tanks with LEDs for years now and our tanks are thriving. So, to suggest it's somehow not appropriate for the animals well being is not proven out by years of empirical experience by many of us and even a little insulting. We love our corals and fish, I assure you.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Pat, please, this is not meant to be insulting to anyone, this needs to be taken in the context it was meant, not everyone is experienced enough to decide on the merits of upgrading lighting, you only have to do a little research to see that many people even those that would be considered as advanced aquarists have run into one problem with another when trying the change from say T5 to LED lighting and it is simply for this reason the comment was made, everything that is developed at Red Sea is tested to ensure that the well being of the animals is taken into consideration and come first, LED lighting whilst excellent in the wrong hands can be lethal as can be clearly seen by the many people who are considering using an alternative, T5 and even Metal Halide is appearing again and many variants of hybrid lighting systems, not everyone is content with LED lighting it would appear.

Pat24601

Pat, please, this is not meant to be insulting to anyone, this needs to be taken in the context it was meant, not everyone is experienced enough to decide on the merits of upgrading lighting, you only have to do a little research to see that many people even those that would be considered as advanced aquarists have run into one problem with another when trying the change from say T5 to LED lighting and it is simply for this reason the comment was made, everything that is developed at Red Sea is tested to ensure that the well being of the animals is taken into consideration and come first, LED lighting whilst excellent in the wrong hands can be lethal as can be clearly seen by the many people who are considering using an alternative, T5 and even Metal Halide is appearing again and many variants of hybrid lighting systems, not everyone is content with LED lighting it would appear.

I 100% agree with this. Thanks for the clarification!