curing rock/coral?

decrypter

what is the quickest way to cure rock\coral my buddy brought back a large piece of white coral dead obviosly but has great shape for holding other corals fyi its been out of the water for multiple months now wondering how i can get it ready to put in my tank without risking an amonia spike

Attachments

• DSC_09860001s_1.JPG
    DSC_09860001s_1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 33

vdituri

If it's completely dry it probably will not cause any kind of cycle.
There is shouldn't be anything in it to die off and cause an ammonia spike.

But usually you just put it in saltwater with a powerhead and let it sit there for a couple of weeks. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates along the way.
Do partial water changes and when you hit 0 you're done.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Add a heater to keep it up around 75 to 85 degrees and siphon out any stuff that comes out off or off of the rock while it is "cooking." A partial water change or even a complete water change once a week will also help if you see that the rock is producing any junk or if the ammonia spikes much. It also helps to speed things up if you put a bit of already cycled live rock in with the new rock when you first start "curing/cooking" it. Either loosely cover the container with the mixed salt water and rock in it, or leave it in the dark when carrying out this process. The process is over after the ammomia and nitrites both read zero.