Culpera overrunning tank!

mick77

Does anything eat grape culpera (sp)? This stuff has absolutely over ran my tank. It seems that I have to remove a 64oz cup full every 2-3 weeks. I've ran out of room in my refuge and have nowhere else to put any excess. It's really bothering me because it's starting to choke some of my zoos and other corals. Thanks for the help!
Mick

BoomerD

I had a similar problem with razor caulerpa. Overgrew everything. Finally took part of a day and ripped out all I could. about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket. Gave some away, traded the rest to the LFS for store credit...Have you tried that?

mick77

Yeah, I've traded some in, but the dang stuff grows so darn fast! Once I think I got it all, it's back within a week! I asked my LFS and he said that not many fish will tuch the grape variation. Anybody heard any truth to this?

Hooked

I have the same problem--I just keep pulling it. Supposedly a foxface will eat it. I also saw a sailfin munching on it at an LFS last week. It's probably like everything else though--no guarantee the fish you buy will eat it....

Curtswearing

Originally posted by mick77 I asked my LFS and he said that not many fish will tuch the grape variation. Anybody heard any truth to this?

Unfortunately, this is true. Because they are sessile, they can't run and hide when a predator comes around. They get around this particular problem by producing toxins. Usually only one or two species of predators are immune to these toxins in an area. If the macroalgae gets somehow transported to a different area where none of the predators have immunity, it completely takes over.

Here's some info on Caulerpa Invasions and why it is illegal to import Caulerpa to California.

cward43062

I've tried the Foxface but that didn't work. I know people that have used sea hares to get rid of it, but I can't seem to get a hold of one at the moment.

mick77

Thanks for the input fellas, I think once funds are available, I'll try a foxface. I'm due for another fish anyways, it's been almost a year since my last purchase.

fonchy

Some people dont like them but get a yellow tang. I got one that eats that thing like candy. it does not matter which type of macro, if is green or red is gone. I used to have some macro growing in my tank, now all my macro is in my fuge only, he eat it all.

mattie

RS Sponsor
look into the simple yellow tang from hawaii they love the stuff
remove as much as you can and the tang will do the rest. worked for me and friends of mine
also emerald crabs eat the stuff
but the tang will eat it twice as fast!!!

Ladipyg

My son has a FOWLR tank with a yellow tang and Jason comes to my house a couple of times a week to grabs some grape Caulerpa that grows like crazy in my fuge. He says "Goldie" goes nuts, eats off the grapes one at a time and when she's sure there's no more left, she'll eat the stems too! Peaceful fish, but she's the only tang in the tank..I noticed my Achilles tang (Acanthurus achilles) eating it also.

mick77

Bubba,
the fuge is full of it and now the display tank is getting overrun. Thanks for the input everyone! I'll try to pick up a yellow tang and see how that works.