CUC Made Tank Ugly

Ceece911

I’m a complete noob who has done a ton of reading and researching on starting a SW tank. I’ve celebrated every time something went like I read it.
Here is something I didn’t see coming, how ugly the CUC would look when introduced into the tank. LOL! I ordered a small crew from reefcleaners. I ordered the 20 long quick crew, plus a few extra dwarf ceriths. This is just a fraction of what’s recommended for a 150g.

• 39 dwarf ceriths
  • 7 Nassarius
  • 11 FL ceriths
  • 8 nerites

Of course the great people at reefcleaners sent double of everything. Except the dwarf ceriths, they sent like 5x what I ordered. I stopped counting them at 100.

When I first put them in

074-1.jpg

After a day they all migrated to the edge of the tank. This is after a scoped up half of them and put some on the other side. This doesn’t show the 50 or so that’s hanging on the glass.

021.jpg

Now I was expecting a few, like 10 or so snails on the glass, and I thought the rest would chill on/in the live rock or BUIRED in the sand. When I’m looking at pictures of people’s tanks, I don’t see 100 black specks on the sand and 50 more on the glass. Will these dwarf ceriths eventually go into hiding?

Hubby says they look like ants and are making his skin crawl. :laughroll:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Haha they will spread out and into the rocks..... Give them some time..... You lose them pretty quick too!

sndw

Haha they will spread out and into the rocks..... Give them some time..... You lose them pretty quick too!

I don't think I lose any, especially dwarf ceriths. I ordered 20 and they came last week, around 50 or so. This afternoon, when I was back from work, I started counting them again and I had to stop at 70 and ton of little one that i didn't count. But they get the job done pretty quick and clean. And those little snail are fun to watch especially Nassarius when you drop food in the tank.

PIMPALA

you are gonna lose a lot of those snails in that tank. its too clean, and they will stare to death. lol.

Got any FTS? It looks VERY light on rock.

Ceece911

you are gonna lose a lot of those snails in that tank. its too clean, and they will stare to death. lol.

Got any FTS? It looks VERY light on rock.

There's about 170 - 200 pounds in there right now. I just completed the cycle and I'm having a really bad diatom bloom right now. That's why I ordered a "small" cuc.

Doogle

The rock must be in your sump? It doesn't look like alot in the tank, at least what is in the pic.
Add a pinch of food for the cuc. For me.lol
Those cuc packages have a lot more than I would want.

Last edited:

degibson84

my wife says the same thing. "that is disgusting" but i would rather the tank be clean than have algae everywhere

reefer gladness

I'm a big fan of banded trochus snails to clean up algae. Fairly attractive as far as snails go and they reproduce like crazy in my tank so the little baby snails get in all the small places the big ones don't fit.

Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Banded Trochus Snail

I started with a CUC from reefcleaners also. I kept the cerith and nassarius snails (very hardy!) but didn't get care for the little cerith snails and removed them when I changed tanks.

Roots

Unless there is about 4 more feet of tank not pictured I don't see how you could possibly have 200 lbs of rock in that tank. In the pics I see almost no algae or diatoms on the sand, rock or glass.

I like Astrea Snails, they are one of the few snails I have found that seem like they eat Cyano just as readily as Diatoms or GHA or pretty much any micro algae, but they won't eat your display macro algae in your fuge or tank with Display Macros.

Roots

I saw in your other thread. I made some suggestions. The tank looks nice though. I want to get a bigger tank soon, something in the 150-200 gal range.