Crisis... no salt

saltwaterfarm

Hello, I am dealing with a high nitrate situation. I usually use "pre-mixed" water (out of convenience). One jug works well for a routine change for my 29 gal biocube.
Went to LFS yesterday, long story short, no pre-mixed water and no bagged salt on shelf. Mixed with what I had left. No problem. Now I am out and I would still like to do another water change. Won't be able to get either for another day or two.
In Wal-mart, there was API aquarium salt. It is for freshwater fish, to be used as a water conditioner. Box said it was made from evaporated sea water. Does anyone have any information about it? Can it be used to mix SW? I won't use it unless I know for sure!
Thanks for any input,
Lisa

TDEVIL

i would wait the day or 2 till the LFS has the salt.

do you know what is causing the high neutrients?

Jay

fidojoe

Fish Addict
It is only for FW.

A couple extra days without a WC is not going to hurt, heck, I've gone a couple extra weeks... Granted it was on my 50g and 90g, so water volume was larger, but I used to stock pretty heavily.

BrothaWolf

Dont use it ... Petco and Petsmart both sell the premixed water... if its an emergency have a small box fed ex'd from one of our sponsors

saltwaterfarm

Thanks all... had a feeling that it would have said SW if it was supposed to be. It was worth a try!
Jay- I think my tank never fully cycled before I stocked. Have had some losses, and my nems not happy.
Brothawolf- Hit petsmart (1 hour drive) yesterday after I bombed at the LFS, looked at me as if I were crazy when I asked for water in a box...
I apparently didn't have the foresight to purchase a bag of salt though (duh).
Thanks Again!
Lisa

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Lisa

Salt from evaportated form seawater does not make it a seawater salt at all.