Crazy new fish... or is it a lizard?

addict

Well, we stopped in at the LFS last evening to see what they had got in new stock, and we found something new that we hadn't seen... a Lizard Blenny.
He is just the coolest little fish, with a great disposition and colorful markings. It gets the name 'Lizard' because his head resembles a lizard's... even down to the way he moves his eyes independently of one another.
It kinda gives you the willies when he gives you the staredown with both eyes forward. :D

It's adopted my christmas tree worm rock as his perch, and I was able to get a shot of it watching the current for food to float by.
He hasn't tried to chase any of the other inhabitants so far, preferring to be on the hunt instead... but we'll see how long that lasts... LiveAquaria lists them as a semi-aggressive species.

addict

The description at Liveaquaria says they're found in rubble-zones in the Indo-pacific, so I'm pretty sure they're a rock hider... the LFS had it labeled as a 'Sand Hopper', but I couldn't find any information under that name... I had to look it up by photo... those pesky LFS'... :D

mps9506

I've had similar specimens that we labeled as red spotted sand perch. I don't think they are the same though. Might want to look that one up also as the sand perch will eat ornamental shrimp and hermit crabs on occasion.
I'm pretty sure the sand perch and lizard blenny are different though.
Mike

addict

Thanks for the heads-up Mike. :)
I'm almost 100% sure that it's a Lizard Blenny... this is the picture from LiveAquaria, which looks identical to this fish.
I'll keep an eye on him... he hasn't paid any attention to my pistol shrimp or my 1" long cleaner shrimp, so hopefully I made the right identification. :D

addict

Thanks for the link there Gumby.
I did some more looking around, and discovered that the Lizard Blenny and Red-Spotted Sand Perch are one and the same.
The taxonomic name of this fish is Parapercis schauinslandi.
It seems that most of the fish in this genus are carnivorous, but mostly opportunistic feeders.
We'll see how it behaves... so far it's ignored my small shrimp, so hopefully it stays that way. :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
watch out reefer addict in time he'll go after your shrimp ! I had one and he looked so innocent but in time I had to get rid if him.

86115_1543.JPG

Last edited:

mps9506

I don't have my book by scott michaels anymore, but I remember only seeing the sand perch in there, according to him he states they "will" eat shrimp.
Keep him well fed, hopefully he will do good.
Personally for me the only blennies that will find their way into my tank are the ones that munch on algae. I love my bicolor...
Mike

stellamn

I have one of these....bought it labled as "Red Checkerboard Blenny" about 6 months ago. According to my reading, they can get up to 8 inches long.

He has great personality and is a voracious eater. He is definitely the "king" of my tank. Oh yeah, he was 2 inches long when I bought him, he's now about 4.

Jodi

addict

Wow, thanks for the experience info everybody... looks I made a goof on this buy. :)
I consulted LiveAquaria before adding him to the tank... normally if something eats anything else normally in a reef tank they mention "Reef Safe... with Caution"... this time they didn't have that listing.
Ah well, if he starts misbehaving I'll do a little fishing... :D

Thanks again.