Craziest LFS prices

ReefLady

Staff member
Just wondering what was the most outrageous price you ever saw at your LFS?

The other day they had 3 medium-sized elegance corals, normal coloration, for $199 each.

That's a record for mine.

mwrager

My last experience was good at my LFS. I got a huge leather for $50.00 , he had 4 of them. The next day I came in and they were up to $90.00.

Nautilus

Travis I think you go to the same place I do...SWP
He charges 40 buck for the Calxmax 2 part and I can get it shipped to my house for 22 bucks.

sharks

Contributing Member
LOL there is a store within 1/2 hour of us that sells ALL livestock at least double our price. No kidding every animal they have is worse looking and at least twice the price. We beat all their dry goods as well. Some by a lot and a few by just a little.
None the less they have been in the biz for a few decades now and still make a killing from uninformed customers :(
S

zy112

mine was a dry good item. it was a wet dry sump,dont remember the details, but it was priced at 375 dollars. i know this was outrageous b/c i saw the exact same one at a different LFS for 175 dollars. i think it might have been like a pro clear aquatics or something, and it was fairly small.

mnreefman

ultra maxima 3" 399.99
ricordia rock (blue) (3 rics) 199.99
purple tang 4" 149.99
need i continue

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Originally posted by mnreefman
ultra maxima 3" 399.99
purple tang 4" 149.99
need i continue

Good God!
Ultra max, I'm guessing around $100-150 at my lfs
rics-also a guess, but about $40-50
Purple tang seen one for $79

I just bought a 6" shell or something with what looks to be 2 seperate 2.75" colonies of purple clove polyps for $36, which I thought was good, cause its big and bright.

danny254

Originally posted by mnreefman
ultra maxima 3" 399.99
purple tang 4" 149.99
need i continue

Holy **** $400 I would be pissed if that baby died. Do you know if they ever sold a clam for that much, or is this some "what the store calls one of a kind" clam?

lol

Danny

danny254

I havn't seen quite the prices you guys have :D but 1000 bucks for a small dual MH setup with cheap ballasts is a little high.

Danny

danny254

LOL 125 is still quite high, but a lot more reason able than four hundred. Who does that guy think he is? mr. 400 dollar clam?

Danny

Pro_builder

$1149.95 for a Hamilton Metal Halid Dual 175 watt w/ NO Actinics plus bulbs.:rolleyes: that is the worst that I have seen at my LFS here.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I was in the LFS last week and they had a small coco worm for 70.00. I've never priced one online or otherwise, so I really don't know if it was out of line or not...but it seemed outrageous for a worm to me ;)

HAP

Originally posted by Travis
Just wondering what was the most outrageous price you ever saw at your LFS?

The other day they had 3 medium-sized elegance corals, normal coloration, for $199 each.

That's a record for mine.

Travis...you must shop at Dallas North Aquarium...they always seem to "top" the local competition.....:D

linesides

At the place sharks mentioned, saw a toaadstool, about 3" in diameter for 79.99. But they need to make the revenue for the 3600 gallon reef system there setting up. They just added 1400 lbs of rock into one side(its dual 1800 gallon tanks) and thats even close to what they're goin to need.

big t

I have also seen ultra maximas for $399 they were black and pretty nice, but I LOL'd when I saw that price! I have never been back to that place, it just ain't worth the drive for half dead acro's and pricy clams :D

wooddood

the wood dude
its amazing,how do they get away with robbing people like that?i've seen it too.i beleive in making a living but come on.

ReefLady

Staff member
Yeah Hap, this was Dallas North. SW Paradise is expensive, but never outrageously, and their setup is immaculate and the corals are the healthiest in town. So I don't mind spending the extra money there.

I found the answer to the $200 elegance and why things were so expensive... this particular LFS was about to have a huge 20% off sale, and as always, they jack the prices up 20% or more the week before the sale. Shameless.