CRACK! Is it done for?

Ryan

I was tightening a bulkhead into the back of my 15 gallon nano and apparently I tightend too much. Ive got a crack about 3 1/2"-4" long from the hole going up (as seen in the pic). Is there anything I can do, or is this tank useless for water now?

003-2.jpg

reef dummy

The water pressure will eventually enlarge the crack and it will leak. I had a 29g with a crack and woke one morning to the sound of sizzlin bacon. That sizzlin bacon sound was water screaming out the bottom of my tank making weird sounds. Don't risk it. By the way Ryan, I'm from Denver and have some Zoanthids for sale or trade if you're interested.

Ryan

well when trying to get the trim off to put on another piece of glass, the whole thing broke. I was setting it up because I sold my 120 and I was going to set this up for my picasso clowns. So, now I guess Im just going to sell everything and be done for a while.

DaveK

Replace the tank. A 15 gal tank is not that expensive. While it is possible to repair the tank, it's generally not worth it, especially when you figure your time.

Now if you were talking about a much larger tank, say 50 gal on up, then a repair would be worth it,

I agree with all of the above. You might be able to repair it, but would it be worth the risk to come in to 15 gallons of water on your floor, and all fish and corals dead one day? I couldn't imagine that situation, so I too say replace it.

funkpolice

I did the same thing on a 10gal fuge. I also tried to replace the broken side and in the act of removing trim broke the whole tank. Glass, blood, and beer everywhere. I don't have anything constructive to say other than I've been there too, buy another tank, and have a laugh over it, tomorrow is another day.
bill

dwall174

Ive got a crack about 3 1/2"-4" long from the hole going up (as seen in the pic). Is there anything I can do, or is this tank useless for water now?

Looking at your pic. I notice the side is curved! Is this an acrylic tank?
If so you can use some Weld-On Adhesive, Prob. # 3 which is water thin. Just let it run into the crack.