Crabs.. dun..dun..duuuuun!

i think my hermit crabs have grown out of their herbivore stage, and are now craving meat. i've started noticing that my bubble-bee's werent moving anymore, and the two that were had "magically" sprouted little blue legs. also i looked behind my lr to find two empy pyramid shells. :guns:
first question is about size. are the blues naturally smaller than the reds, or are the blues just younger.
second question is what would be a suitable replacement for them? i read somewhere on this forum that scarlett reefs stay herbivores; is that true. i tried finding the post again, but i couldn't

goldenmean

Its not that your hermits have grown out of their herbivore stage. The grew out of their shells and are looking for larger ones. You can get larger shells from your LFS. I have even used shells that i bought from a hobby store. I just boiled them in RO water for a while before I added them to the tank.

that's a very true, but i forgot to mention that i already have enough empty shells from my lfs for them. the blues only used two bumble shells leaving 6 empty. i dont think they were just cases of buyers remorse.

i've been watching them, and it seems the blues are more active. when they come across a shell making me think they're goint to switch, but they just reach in and dig around. i'm no marine biologist, but to me it looks like it's looking for some grub.

I dont want to sound ungrateful for the feedback, but my original questions have still gone unanswered.
first question is about size. are the blues naturally smaller than the reds, or are the blues just younger.
second question is what would be a suitable replacement for them? i read somewhere on this forum that scarlett reefs stay herbivores; is that true.

goldenmean

NO - given the opportunity Scarlett Hermits will eat meat.
My Scarletts and Blue legs go crazy for the Frozen Prime Reef cubes I use to feed my Fungia and Open Brain.
IME (in my experience)
Scarlets are more mellow and a less active hermit than blue legs IME.
Also I have not had my scarlet crabs live for a long time - more than a few months while I have some blue legs that I have had for well over a year.

BEELZEBOB

sounds like one of your hermits got a bumblebee shell, and all the others were like, "man, he looks way cool"

you should be happy, at least ones a trend-setter.

Melanie

I dont want to sound ungrateful for the feedback, but my original questions have still gone unanswered.

According to "Marine Invertebrates" by Ronald L. Shimek, PH.D.:

Blue Legged Hermit Crabs: Maximum Size About 0.75" across the leg span. Will Scavenge on most aquarium foods. Prefers meaty items and will prey on many smaller animals.

Red Legged Hermit Crabs: Maximum Size About 2.5" across the leg span. Will scavenge on most aquarium foods. Also preys on many smaller animals.

Scarlet Hermit Crabs: Maximum Size About 1.5" across the leg span. Will scavenge most aquarium foods. Prefers meaty items and also preys on many smaller animals.

All three: Reef aquarium safe only in concentrations of 1 crab or fewer per 10 gallons. <--:doh: should have read that before I bought my CUC!

BEELZEBOB

yea, never had too much of a prob with them hermits, kinda have a way of keepin them in check...

but they are ruthless lil bastardos