Crabs breeding? or fighting?

rod

crab Small Web view.jpg

Dead crabSmall Web view.jpg

Saw this little crab dead about an hour ago. Did not see it's shell.

Notice larger crab on smaller crab. So I took another picture. Are they breeding or fighting?

burning2nd

ya.... mosh pits

i had mosh pits back in the day, when i had a lotta hermits... they would have mosh pits when i fed..... till the numbers ballanced out.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
That looks like fighting and the looser is left dead and shell-less. Most hermits are very aggressive and will kill another hermit/snail for its shell.

rod

That looks like fighting and the looser is left dead and shell-less. Most hermits are very aggressive and will kill another hermit/snail for its shell.

The one that is dead is a third one, not sure where his shell is? The two shells still have the crabs in them. It was an hour between these pictures. The third one was ate? or gone anyhow. The first bigger one was still on the smaller second one. It was entertaining to watch with the exception of seeing one dead.

Found another little one down underneath the tank in the sump box while checking the lines last night. So we must have three still at least.

So does anyone know how crabs breed or make baby crabs?

burning2nd

they dont always fight for shells..... they could be starveing.....

when i had a lot of hermits back in the day, when i would feed they would like forget to go find the food that just landed, and would always seem to find each other........

i would look at night some times, and there would be this big gang fight with like 5 or 6 at a time...... over time the numbers went down....

I do target feed my biggest one every once and a while.... when i see him geting angry at everything that moves.

rod

they dont always fight for shells..... they could be starveing.....

when i had a lot of hermits back in the day, when i would feed they would like forget to go find the food that just landed, and would always seem to find each other........

i would look at night some times, and there would be this big gang fight with like 5 or 6 at a time...... over time the numbers went down....

I do target feed my biggest one every once and a while.... when i see him geting angry at everything that moves.
Thank you. I will watch them to make sure they get enough to eat.

eakatank

reminds me of the great crab battle of 06. I think it's a case of the grass is always greener. Once the numbers dropped the fighting became more infrequent. I haven't seen one in a while.

Snelly40

thats why im not a crab fan, they will hunt each other and forget to clean ur tank which is why most people get them in the first place. Snails can do what they do much better and effectively and u dont have to replace them all the time :)
and snails wont attack ur fish or corals either

vdituri

If the head count is still 3 then maybe it is just a convincing life-like shed?
Mine shed and then hide to see if I'm going to have another coronary. I've given up on worrying about it, I will feed them and if they want to pretend to be dead then so be it. Little fakers.