Crab id plz

chops29

Check this little dude out. I was checking out the night life in my tankand noticed this little bigger grazing towards the top. Apparently it saw me to and sought refuge in the upper most rock in my tank. So like a spider monkey i grabed up that rock quick as possiable and got it on the first try. Now, for alittle back story this is the second crab I've caught the first was banished to the sump.
Well i think the first as this dude may be the same one. But to get back into the DT would be one heck of a ride.

Crab001.jpg

Holding cell with little holes drilled until I know what to do with it! Put it in the sump.

Crab011.jpg

1Reefer

Not sure, I caught one just like that out of my tank awile back.... someone told me it was a juvi rock crab, but again that is someone told me, and they very well could have been wrong lol... good luck

lcstorc

Itn doesn't look like a gorilla crab to men but regardless I vote sump. Generally speaking dark claw tips are not reef safe and why not error on the safe side.
I doubt he could have made it through your return pump from the sump so I am sure it is just another crab. Keep your eyes open for more.

chops29

Thank you all for your replies. Definently glad I got it out of the tank. As for putting it in the sump I know alot of people say that but if there's a predatory crab in there it's not much of a "refuge" then. As I'm not a big fan of just killing it out right it, a local club member has a cuttle fish tank. So I'm thinking crabs on the menu.

TheSeaErskine

Hi, i'm a new to this.
I think i just found this same crab in the live rock i introduced to my new set up. If i banished him to the sump, what would he eat? Does enough algae grow in there?

lcstorc

Crabs are oportunistic eaters so they will eat anything edible they can find. He will live off of the food scraps and waste there just like he would in the tank but he will be unable to attack your livestock if he is in the sump.