Crab id needed

Miltonic

so I recently started seeing this weird crab roaming around in my tank and I have no idea where it came from, the only crab I added to my tank was an emerald crab that I haven't seen in forever but this can't be it since it's not green at all and it looks kind of vicious. I wanted to know if Its safe and leave in the display or move it to the sump.

best pic I could take of it while cruising on my Pectinia :/
crabid.jpg

Miltonic

I can try to describe if that helps, I can tell you that its eyes are more red than the picture shows and that one claw is bigger than the other, i think those the only two features that aren't shown well in the pic. what angle should I aim for btw?

FishNerd

I am still waiting for a response to my post about a similar crab. I am not sure if they are the same. I suspect it of killing a few of my fish.

mps9506

You really need a photo of the carapace from the top down, even then id's are pretty difficult, but would give you your best shot. Most people will remove the crab and put it in a small dish of water and photograph it from above.

fivel

I'm not sure what kind of crab it is - but that's a stunning picture you managed to take... Great Photography, even if it is of an evil looking crab

Miltonic

yes I will get him out asap even though it doesnt look exactly like yours but it's better to get him out anyway. I'm planning to catch him offguard tonight where he hangs out (my pectinia) I wanted to get it last night but it moved.

I'm not sure what kind of crab it is - but that's a stunning picture you managed to take... Great Photography, even if it is of an evil looking crab
Thanks and it was with flash too since it was after lights out.

FishNerd

Be careful the one I killed grabed the wood skewer I was going after him with I pulled back and it ripped his arm off. Hate to think what that would feel like.

Westerner

Thats a cool looking crab. Nice photography on your behalf to..

Here is my local tank murder! Get him out ASAP, he looks like a gorilla crab same as mine. Put him in fuge if you have one or bring him to LFS someone many want him.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/smokeynato/Picture003-1.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/smokeynato/Picture002-1.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/smokeynato/Picture001-1.jpg

What do you mean by murderer? What does he kill?

DrHank

That is another gorilla crab. A definite hazard and a killer. You need to remove him from your tank as he is a threat to both fish and invertebrates. Skewer him if you can (i use a fondue fork). Bait a piece of rock with a grocery store shrimp. Just rubber band it on. Lights out and a dim red light works best. spear him when you get a chance. Keep an eye our for others. Good luck.

Westerner

That is another gorilla crab. A definite hazard and a killer. You need to remove him from your tank as he is a threat to both fish and invertebrates. Skewer him if you can (i use a fondue fork). Bait a piece of rock with a grocery store shrimp. Just rubber band it on. Lights out and a dim red light works best. spear him when you get a chance. Keep an eye our for others. Good luck.

Do you think they are a threat to big fish? Like tangs, and angels?

FishNerd

All of the fish killed in my tank lived within the rock, gobies, fire fish, and a wrasse. Your larger fish that stay in the water column are safer. Your corals on the other hand many not be.

fivel

Basically anything that gets within reach of him is at risk. I had a crab spear a yellow tang I had back in the day, so you never really know what these things are capable of until it actually happens.

Best of luck capturing him - I certainly don't envy the task you have ahead of you, heh

Miltonic

ohh god just when I thought I couldn't get anymore bad hitchhikers. I tried catching it last night right there where you see on the pic with tweezers but failed. i'll try again with a piece of food and when it goes to get I'll pull it out, hope that works.

Edit: so that didn't work what makes it harder is that its living on my pectinia so I can't try to stab without possibly hurting the coral.

Last edited:

FishNerd

Try the glass jar trick. Bait the jar with some shrimp and lean it agaisnt his rock crab goes in and cant come out!