CPR Bak Pak input location

Safedad

I purchased the body of a CPR-Bak Pak when I got a free 55g tank. I have added a 1200 Maxi-jet to run it. I drilled a hole in the input screen and inserted an airline. It seemed to be working very well (better than the airstones I had routed into the intak chamber). Then I added something to the tank and the skimmer just "jumped" with activity. I looked at my setup and realized that the return from the skimmer was right over the intake to the maxi-jet. Sure would get that water cleaned as it cleaned it over and over. So I just added some plumbing and moved the maxi jet to the other side of the aqurium. I have the maxijet pumping into a tube into a 90 degree 1/2" connector. 3/8" tubing out of the mazijet to the 90 degree and 3/4" tubing across the bottom of the back of the tank (under the gravel) to a 90 degree barb and up to the skimmer. It appears in the first couple of hours to be very busy. Will let you know if it keeps up.
Bob

BoomerD

My bak-Pak has a large 90 on the outlet, so that's not a problem. Does yours just dump straight down? If so, you might be able to pick up a suitable fitting at Lowes or Home Depot.

Safedad

My return is angled plexiglas which splashes all over. I made a plexiglas box with holes in the bottom to hold a filter pad (calms the splashing and most of the bubbles). I tried making the bio ball needle wheel and it didn't work (bubbles were bigger). Having it at 15+" down I think makes a difference. The skimmer is working OK but I know it can have a frothy bubble content if I get things set up better. The camera battery is dead. Will get it charged and snap a few pics. Am thinking about installing a beckett or mazzei injector to get it to froth?? Any one have experience with these? Any problem trying to get the venturi to work at the bottom of the tank. It seems like the suction on the discharge would still work wherever in the tank.
Bob

BoomerD

Gotta wonder what you have then. Every Bak-Pak I've ever seen looks like this one:
bp2_180.jpg

Safedad

Mine looks like that except for the discharge. It is probably old, I got it used. I have some pictures but they are too big. I will work on getting some free software to reduce them. I am having some difficulty getting the airflow right. Can't find a venturi locally (Cary/Raleigh, NC) so may order one on line. Anyone have a feel about whether the depth of the line makes a difference. I remember reading about putting skimmers in at recommended depths, but never did find out why. Well off to work on the picture deal.
Bob

Safedad

I was able to add a photo of the discharge in the photo gallery. Just a bit or two too many to attach. I shrink them down to 640X480 but not quite enough, using a free copy of Infraview.

BoomerD

Saw your pics...that must be an OLD unit. IIRC, they haven't made them like that in well over 10 yrs...I personally wouldn't sweat the discharge over the pump. If anything, aim a powerhead at the discharge area to mix things up a bit, and call it good...OR, get one of the CPR pre-filter boxes that are made to draw from the surface.

Safedad

A few more years and it will be an antique! Worth some money then! Well I have already moved the intake to the other side. Could I insert a venturi at this depth and have it make more bubbles?

blade25

I have this cpr bak pak its first generation, on the return there is a small notch place a small rectangular pad ( or something similiar ) for difusing bubbles and some debri. for your pump get a surface skimmer box they are about $20.00. My pump is a rio 600. I bought my bak pak in 1998