CPB - Chemi Pure Blue

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Anyone have any ideas on what is in this new product, Chemi Pure Blue & how it works?

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/13/...//reefbuilders.com/2014/03/13/chemipure-blue/

Boyd says...

"Chemi-pure Blue's proprietary formula significantly reduces organic compounds, odors, phenols, toxins, medications, dissolved metals, phosphates and silicates." but not sure how it reduces phosphates being it does not contain gfo.

I know their CPE (Chemi Pure Elite) is carbon & gfo. Seems if there is a new special formula, BRS would sell it in bulk too, like they do gfo & carbon.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice find Mike ! the Blue part makes since ;)

think this product is better at removing phosphates than gfo? as claimed...

so many "promises" in the sw world... I believe in gfo, have used it successfully for many years and have read many of Randy Holmes Farley articles on it as an exporter for phosphates.

pablomay28

Anyone have any ideas on what is in this new product, Chemi Pure Blue & how it works?

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/13/...//reefbuilders.com/2014/03/13/chemipure-blue/

Boyd says...

"Chemi-pure Blue's proprietary formula significantly reduces organic compounds, odors, phenols, toxins, medications, dissolved metals, phosphates and silicates." but not sure how it reduces phosphates being it does not contain gfo.

I know their CPE (Chemi Pure Elite) is carbon & gfo. Seems if there is a new special formula, BRS would sell it in bulk too, like they do gfo & carbon.

It seems like it is chemipure elite+purigen in one bag from what i have seen

pablomay28

Boyd says...

I just ordered some from Marine Depot. I will post a review as soon as put it in the tank. The good thing is that in my RSM 1 bag should do instead of the 2 chemipure elite and 1 purigen. The 11oz. bag is said to treat 75 gal.

pablomay28

I just put the chemi pure blue in. I removed the 2 chemi pure elite bags and purigen to see how this single bag compares. At a first glance it looks like I stated before a chemi pure elite bag with purigen in it.

If it works as good as all the other three I might even get rid of my media rack and just place the CPB on top of the original RSM rack.

pablomay28

This is a picture before the CPB. I will probably post one later on tonight or tomorrow to see if there is any difference. If it stays the same I will continue using it since it would replace 2 bags of chemi pure elite and 1 bag of purigen.

BTW the 11oz bag of chemi pure blue cost $19.49 compared to $40.47 for the 2 bags of chemi pure elite and 1 bag of purigen.

pablomay28

I am sold on CPB my water is clear and I no longer need my 2 cpe and purigen bags or in tank media rack. I will place the original grate back and just run my CPB. You guys should try it.

StirCrayzy

As much as I hate to be Debbie Downer, that's an awfully fast review.
I understand your pros and cons going from 3 media bags to one single($), so please don't take this the wrong way.
Seems a little quick to write it up as the perfect replacement just by clarity over a couple days.
Chemical filtration should take a bit longer to realize true benefits, or lack thereof.

StirCrayzy

Anyone have any updates?

I just received my 11oz bag, and next week I'll be swapping the carbon out of my reactor and replace with CPB.
I'm looking for this to be a helping hand in continuing my recession of algae growth.

newo11

I've been running it for two months and have seen no discernible difference vs the elite. Except - in my RSM250 I only need one bag of the blue vs two of the elite. That's a money saver over time. So for me - this is a great product.

pablomay28

I have gone back to the regular elite. I was a bit quick in my review. I had troubles with low alkalinity. After going back to the 2 CPE bags it has stabilized again. BTW i have not added any new corals to my system that could drop my alk. I read a similar issue with another reefer on marine depot.

DStars

It has been over a year since the last update from Pablomay.

Is anybody still using the CPB instead of the other CP?

Thanks...I am in the process of starting a RSM C250, and do not know which way I should go.

Pat24601

It has been over a year since the last update from Pablomay.

Is anybody still using the CPB instead of the other CP?

Thanks...I am in the process of starting a RSM C250, and do not know which way I should go.

I use 1 chemi pure blue instead of 2 chemi pure elites. It works great. I can't claim to notice a difference between running 1 chemi pure blue and 2 chemi pure elites, but my water is clear, I have no serious algae issues, and my tank looks great using it.

I personally think you can go either way and be 100% fine, but chemi pure elite would still be the more established product on these forums.

I do run purigen as well. Reading up, I see that may be redundant, but it's working for me so I'm sticking with it.

Last edited: