Cowrie id . . . .

Brucey

Hi Guys

Not a regular post'r on RS recently I'm afriad but I'm sure I'll get a lot of stick from the older members from a few years ago who remember me. Anyway chaps, can anyone id this Cowrie for me. Looks like a tiger to me but would like anyone's second opinion. Couldn't help buying him today but he was in a tank full of SPS/LPS and didn't 'seem' to be bothering anything.

I've been using this URL as my lookup resource but any others would be appreciated. PS, are the horror stories I hear about Tigers true or can they exist in a reef tank.

http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_page...PRAEOIDEA.html

Take care all and it's nice to drop by again
Brucey

Attachments

• Cowries.jpg
    Cowries.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 38

Witfull

hey there brucey,,,hows the family?

can you get a pic of the shell without its mantle covering it?

BoomerD

Hey Daddy! Howz things? Like Witt said, a pic of just the shell would be a big help, although (the other) Boomer may be able to ID it from that pic...
Come visit more often...you're missed here.

Brucey

Hi Wit
Hi Bommer
How are you boys doing. Good to see the same old faces around. Guys, you know I love it here and honest I do pop back now and again to see what you lot are chatting about . . . . . old womens club and all that. But I don't know where my life goes these days. Between working and playing with my boy (Can you believe he is 2 in Auguest), I have about 30 mins spare every day. Well, at least that's how it seems sometimes. I'll try and catch a pic tomorrow of the big bad boy when his mantle is retracted, although he seems pretty content now the lights have gone off to be hoovering around the glass for algaes by the look of it. Do they need 'encouraging' to retract their mantle or is it something they do frequently. He's been in the tank for about 6 hours now and I haven't seen it retracted yet . . . .
Take care
Brucey

Witfull

give him a tap and he should retract....my best guess it a tiger...i have 2 and they are night algal grazers.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Based on its mantle structure I agree with Wit, it is a Cypraea tigris, Tiger Cowrie.

Brucey, where have you been ???

Brucey

Hi Gina. How are you and your lovely family. All well I hope. Yes, myself, Louise and Drew just returned from a vacation on the North Coast of Cornwall (I'm not sure if you know where that is in the UK) but there are some amazing coastlines and beaches. It was beautiful and the boy loved playing in the sand for the first time in his life. nearly 2 now, can you believe that.

Anyway guys, managed to catch a pic of him with the mantle open today although he was stuck up under a rock, so apologies for the poor quality of the photo.

Take care all
Brucey

Attachments

• Cowries 2.jpg
    Cowries 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 21