Cowrei or conch?

robinscp

Is a cowrei the same as as a conch?

I have a deep sand bed and thought I needed something to mix it up a bit.

I know that conch's are good for this so I bought what I thought was one.

I now know that it is a cowrei. What type I do not know.

Is this reef safe? what do I need to know about this critter?

I will try to post a pic if I can.

Thanks

Craig

gimpy

A fighting conch would be a nice addition to a tank with a dsb. I used to have one and really liked him. I will get me another one if my lfs ever gets one in.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a cowry from my lfs. This one is an unknown type. The lfs got 3 of them in and knew little to nothing about them. I took a chance and bought one anyway. He looks like a huge snail with a very shiny shell. I have never seen him in/on my sand bed. He stays in the rocks, as far as I can tell. He seems to be eating the algae on the rocks. I think there is a possibility of him munching on corals? That's what the lfs said, but he was unsure. I only have a few polyps and a couple of mushrooms, so thought that I would try him. I think he knocked one of my small polyp covered rocks down into my rockwork. I can't find the rock.

So far he stays pretty much hidden/out of sight during daylight, but comes out after dark, so I haven't seen much of him. Anyway, you might want to wait a little bit and do some more research on him, if you have a reef. Just in case. Or at least keep an eye on him until you know exactly what he will do.

Good luck, Frank

KMP

is the cowrie spotted or a solid shiny light brown color?

if spotted it's a tiger cowrie, if shiny light brown it's a money or ring cowrie.

gimpy

Kenny, not sure what kind mine is. It is very shiny. It is hard for me to describe it, it kind of spotty, but not normal even type of spots, darkish brown color, I think. Not real sure, it stays hidden pretty much during the day, although every once in a while I can spot it hidden among the rocks.

Frank.