Couple questions about my tank

klok95330

My first question is regarding my coralife super skimmer 65. For some reason it keeps over flowing :/ Ive adjust it to keep the bubbles only .75 in up the bottom of the skimmer cup. Any suggestions?

My second question is regarding my new sump that I just made. For some reason the water in my return compartment keeps dropping? Is it from evaporation or is the pump pumping faster then intake? Ive turned it down its still doing it? Any suggestion? Its a 10 gallon sump using a quietone 1200 pump

Pump
Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 1200 - 296 GPH

Overview of sump/fuge
picture in attachment

Give me some feedback and ask any questions you would need. Ill give whatever info I can. Thank you very much! I appreciate any and all info

Attachments

• Fuge.jpg
    Fuge.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 37

Reddog170

The water level is dropping in the return area from evaporation. That is where you want to set up your float if you have an auto top off. The skimmer is the same one I use. If yours was molded the same as mine then you will want to take a small drill bit and ream out where the airline hooks up to it, just a little bit. What I had happening was extra plastic, or flash, partialy covering the hole now alowing enough air into the mix. And mine take several hours to settle in after any adjustments. I set mine so that it foams up to the bottom of the neck of the cup and about two or three hours later it will be about an inch to an inch and a half inside the neck of the cup. That is where it seams to work the best. They are a decent skimmer once broke in and you take the time to learn its little tricks.
Best of luck and keep us posted, Shaun

klok95330

I didnt notice any extra plastic anywhere. I did however set it to about the middle of the collection cup and noticed that it did fluctuate a bit, so I moved it to about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the cup. That should take care of that. As far as evaporation dang thats a bunch. I dont have a auto top off set up, but I am using so much electricity that it aint funny lol. Especially with 3 tanks up and running. Are they fairly easy to set up and use?

klok95330

Should I use a bigger pump you think? Well anyone really. Its a quietone 1200. 3 1/2 foot 1/2 inch hose from sump to overflow box (where return and overflow are both located, the return head is in the same box as the overflow) with 3, 1/2 inch elbows inside. Its rated at like 300 gph or so. i think its too little flow. What should I be running about. Opinions anyone?

klok95330

Ok another question. What is the general accepted GPH that should be flowing from tank to sump and sump to tank?

kospaintball

that isn't so much a rated thing as it is how much the system can handle. Like if your overflow can only handle 500gph max and then you put a 1000gph pump on it, it will over fill your display and run your sump empty. I have mine at 6 times my tank volume, but i don't calculate that into my "tank flow gph"