corals turn brown......

Danreef

I have the same bird nest. One in the middle of tanK and middle height and is purple. A branch of that one that now is a colony is in a corner with low and indirect light and is brown. Was purple when I glued there.

Both same water quality just different lightning power.

Cheers
DANIEL

Joeys Tank

What are your nutrient levels in the tank? Elevated nitrates and phosphates can also cause coral to brown. So could algae growth on the coral. There are several things which may be causing this and is why Mike was asking for more info.

Bulbs can be exhausted.

Danreef

ok soon change lamps ..... values ​​are all ok ....
maybe missing some element that increases the colors....

What is your water change schedule?
what is your bioload ?
Post a picture of the tank.

If you do weekly water changes most probably you are not missing any element. Depending on your bioload.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Folks, I am going to watch this one with interest, there are already some very valid questions and comments, DANIEL has raised a very valid point that I have seen myself many many times with seriatopora hystrix (Birds Nest) whilst I am sure that it is lighting that plays a significant role I also believe it is possible to have slightly different strains of Zooxanthellae present in the Coral, I have fragged a bright Pink Hystrix in the same system (S500) as a brown Hystrix placed the frag into the Brown Hystrix to watch it turn bright Pink over a couple of months.

Same system, same lamps, same nutrient levels same Foundation Elements same Trace elements ( Coral Coors) I think there was not a lot of difference in the height of the Corals in the system, the flow around them was near as the same, the simple answer is these are are different species of Zooxanthellae.

Let the debate begin :)

Oxylebius

Yes, there are different zooxanthellae, they are grouped in clades. Many corals that have been transplanted from one reef to another for conservation reasons have shown that they can loose their old clade of zooxanthellae and can take in new ones from the new location.

LakeLivin

I have a pink birdsnest that was doing well and all of a sudden started turning brown in one spot and it seems to be spreading. I checked all my water parameters and they are all within normal ranges. I suppose it might not like my new Radions but everything else is flourishing under them so I refuse to make any changes that may have ill effects on any or all of the others that are thriving just to try and save the birdsnest. I moved it to a little lower spot in the tank and will see if it recovers. It's going to have to learn to adapt or unfortunately die if moving it to a new location does not help. I'm running my Radions at 40%

When we take all of these different coral species that are nature designed to live in specific oceans of the world where they have evolved to tolerate specific conditions and we mix them all in one tank there are bound to be some that are just not going to be happy while others do just fine. All we can do is try to find them a spot in the tank where they get the recommended amount of flow and light they need, keep all the other trace elements in balance and keep phosphates and nitrates in line.

All that said, should anyone figure out a way to stop the browning please let me know.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How about a pic? Tell us what your levels are, "ok" doesn't help much in this situation. Usually, brown corals are because of high z algae.... Which are from too many nutrients or too little light.

Is it the only coral showing this issue?

Pat24601

I've had 3 different purple montipora frags all turn brown on me. I'm not sure why. I have T5 lights and my live rock isn't really terribly "high" in my tank, so I wonder if lighting could be it. I mean, it's "highish", but not all the way to my water line. I tried one on the very top of my live rock and one more in the middle and really had roughly the same impact either way.

I thought about nutrients, but my phosphate reads very low (somewhere between 0 and 0.03 most days). Still, I wouldn't rule it out. I could be overfeeding a touch. I try not to and feed in small chunks that I watch my fish it, but I'm sure some gets through. I dose the red sea algae management program (carbon dosing) and it seems to work pretty well.

I do weekly water changes. Typically 10%, but sometimes 20%.

My pink birds nest is doing great and is very pink.

I have an orange montipora that is orange, but it is a darker orange. So, it may be a browning a touch, I guess. I have another orange montipora that I keep at mid-level in my tank and is growing like crazy, but has definitely browned and not a true orange, but otherwise seems very, very healthy.

(My LFS sells montipora frags very cheap because they are just pruning the ones from their main tanks).

So, with 5 montipora frags having some level of issue, I'd guess I'm doing something wrong for them...especially the purple ones. :) I mean, they seem healthy. They are growing rapidly etc, but just not coloring up well.

Everything else in my tank seems fine.

So, I haven't figured out the browning issue. After trying 3 different (purple) frags from 2 different sources, I've given up and moved on to other things...