Corals seriously have something against my tank!!!

75reef

I have a brief history here.... SORRY- LONG STORY
I have a 75 gal, 260W PC lighting tank that was established for 8 months. I had several fish in there and everything was doing great. The only problem I ever had with it was I couldn't get my nitrate levels down. They always hung around 30-40.
I finally decided to get some button polyps and some mushrooms. I had then in my tank for a week or so and they were both all closed up and didn't look like they even wanted to open any time soon. I called the LFS and they said it could just be acclimation.
Finally after 3 weeks, I actually put them in my wifes tank that is a little 12 Gal setup that was established for about 5 months at the time. Everything started coming to life. She has a 32W PC light in her tank. Her water perameters were pretty much the same as my tank. I then tried putting them back in my tank a couple weeks later after they were pretty much flourishing in her tank. They did not open up once in my tank and I gave it a week and back in her tank they went. They literally started opening up the same day they went in her tank ( the jerks).

Now, (many months gone by) since then I have completely redone my tank. I have about 90Lbs of live rock in there, Metal halide lighting, added a whole sump system with a good protien skimmer and waited almost two months till everything was stable. I even use RO water now and have no problem with nitrates.
I finally decided to add those corals again and they haven't opened up in the past 4 day they have been in there. I even put them at the bottom a little bit shadowed from the new more intense lighting so they didn't get a lighting shock. I am at a total loss for what is going on. An these are supposed to be some of the easiest corals to keep!!! I am going to give them a couple more days to see if they adjust, if not, I'll have to put them back in her tank.
Anybody have any idea what is going on!?!!? what else I could check for?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Could you post your parameters such as cal/alk ? What are you supplementing ? What is your fish list ? Which skimmer are you using ? How many watts of halides and what are the dimensions of the tank ?

75reef

I do not have a test kit for calcium but it can't really be any more or less than what is in her tank I wouldn't think. Plus, would it actually affect the corals that quick? I have 2- 150watt MH's and 2 130Watt dual actinics. I have an AquaC EV-90 skimmer and it is a 48x18x24 tank. As far as the alkalinity, it is between 180-300. The only test I have for that is a dip in test strip. It is between those two colors. The only fish right now is a Cinnamon clown fish and I have a few hermit crabs.

75reef

copper is zero. I had tghe LFS check that. plus I think the fish are pretty responsive to copper too and the clown is perfectly fine. Anything else you can think of?

Scouter Steve

took a shot! See I thought most fish are great with some copper and snails and corals were not. You listed no snails in you inhabitants which made me jump to copper. But if tested zero....you ain't got it.
Flow?

75reef

flow is good. much better than her little trickle coming out of the filter at the top. I have 2 aquaclear 50 power heads and 2 nozzles out of a Mag 9 return pump. Should be plenty for those guys. You are right about the fish not being as sensitive with copper. I don't know exactly what I was thinking. I guess it would have to be higher levels to have the fish start feeling the effects of copper.

lcstorc

Do you use the same water and salt in both tanks?
Since they do fine it hers I would focus on what the differences are. Are you adding any supplements she is not? Things like that.
Flow could very well be a factor. When they are in her tank what is the flow like around them? What is it like in your tank?
Sorry we have more questions than answers but this sounds like a tricky one.

75reef

no problem, I really appreciate all the input. Same RO water, same salt...The tanks are virtually identical. This is a very tricky one. The flow is stated in the above posting by me. I think I posted that a split second before you posted.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Well lets start off by getting the exact water parameters:

Amonia=
Nitrite=
Nitrate=
Phosphate=
Calcium=
Magnesium=
Salinity=
Temp=
TDS from the Tap=
TDS after membrane=
TDS after DI=

These are information that is really needed to try to figure it out. GUessing in this hobby really doenst work that well.

75reef

Amonia= 0
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate= 10
Phosphate= I will test tomorrow night (haven't in a couple weeks)
Calcium= ? do not have a kit
Magnesium= ? do not have a kit
Salinity= 1.023
Temp= 83
TDS from the Tap= I am assuming that is Total Disolved Solids?
TDS after membrane= Don't have any kind of test for that either
TDS after DI=

It just doesn't seem that what I don't have a test for at this point would affect them that bad that quick, especially also being that the two tanks are so similar. I guess there obviously has to be something though.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Amonia= 0
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate= 10
Phosphate= I will test tomorrow night (haven't in a couple weeks)
Calcium= ? do not have a kit
Magnesium= ? do not have a kit
Salinity= 1.023
Temp= 83
TDS after DI=

It just doesn't seem that what I don't have a test for at this point would affect them that bad that quick, especially also being that the two tanks are so similar. I guess there obviously has to be something though.

Calcium= I would either get one or have it checked
Magnesium= I would either get one or have it checked
Salinity= 1.023 raise to 1.025
Temp= 83 add a chiller or fans dropto 78-81
If you have a RO system you should have a TDS meter if not invest because tap water can change daily & effect the life of the RO unit components
TDS after DI=

Techno-Vicki

What about stray electrical voltage, rust from something metal in the water, you might try raising your salinity a bit. Also what do you use to measure it? A refratometer is worth the investment. I was always off with my hydro meter.

lcstorc

The temp may well be the difference between the two tanks. That or the stray voltage. You won't feel the voltage unless you have a cut or something on your hand. Grounding probes are cheap and easy and I would definitely recommend getting one.

75reef

The tanks are identical in temperature and salinity so If they don't mind it in her tank, I don't think that they would mind it in mine. I will raise my salinity though to the 1.025.
The one thing I haven't checked for though is the stray voltage in the tank. I really should invest in a good meter for the salinity as well.

anything else?

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
WHat are the inhabitants of the tank sometimes fish, sanils, urchins etc will keep corals closed because the are bothering them

75reef

only one cinnamon clown and a few hermit crabs right now. the hermits have pretty much been leaving them alone and my wife tank actually has a greater concentration of hermits for the size tank.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If the alkalinity is high that could have a very negative impact on inverts so testing for calcium/alkalinity/magnesium in an established system is very important. Also if using tap water you should get a TDS meter to see if it's ok to use, do you have any macro-algae outbreaks ?