coraline turns white?

kromebusa

So, I am noticing that most of the purple Coraline in my tank is turning white? Any ideas

temp has been skyrocketing, i am at about 83, temp is rising here in sunny El Paso. Levels last night when I noticed were:

Salinity- 1.025
Nitrate -.2ppm
PH -8.6
Alk-getting a bit high
nitrate-5.0, corrected to 3.0 with the nitrite level
Amonia-between 0 and .25
Phosphate-.2ppm
oxygen 16 ppm
Calcium-300 ( I am assuming this is the Culprit) I added c-balance after i saw this.

thanks in advance.

ReefLady

Staff member
It happens, especially with newer LR. Get that calcium up and it'll come back for sure.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I agree that low calcium is the issue. Keep an eye on both your ca and alk when dosing C-balance.

I agree that calcium is the source of the problem, but there is an additional factor. It would be a good idea to pick up a magnesium test kit. You want your magnesium level in a range of 1250-1350. If it is low, it can make it difficult to raise calcium. IME, I have also found that the ALK/CALC relationship is easier to maintain when magnesium is in the desired range.

Your Calcium level is very low, and you will need to use calcium chloride to raise it to desired range. (400-450). Lots of people shoot for 425-430. Products like ESV Magnesium, and Kent's Turbo Calcium will help you achieve the desired levels relatively easily. Here is a link to a calculator that can help:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Dragon Wrasse

Ditto to all the above, watch you temp. once you start pushing 83-84 you start stressing your live stock (all) after 84 stuff will start to die off, I would also try and get your PH down to 8.2. A side note; I had an emerald crab that for some reason loved to eat my coraline algea, after he picked on the rock that area would be white.....this may be somthing to look for. Good Luck.