Coraline algea all over!?!

I have a 14G bio-cube and its been set up for almost a year. The problem I am having is the coraline algea is taking over. It has covered the glass almost to the point its not pretty to look at. I am having a heck of a time getting it off. What do you guys recommend for taking it off? I know this seems like a stupid question because this is the kind of algea you want but it is getting bad. Thanks for all your help.

bshady

if its glass the coraline should scrape off fairly easy with a razor blade. remove pieces from tank as you scrape them off

Last edited:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lol, its brutal, the pink menace, when you scrape the glass it makes more, there are some urchins that live on it and will clean it up a bit

catran

I use a small all plastic razor scraper that I originally bought to scrape city stickers off of my car. At first I tried using a razor blade only, but it kept cutting into my finger tips.

redneckgearhead

Yea a pink urchin will make short work of the coralline but, it will also pick up every loose frag you have and any snails or crabs that might venture to close to them. I always rescue the snails but the crabs will just find another home if the urchin doesn't let go of it. Mine seems to have a thing with thermometers as well. LOL

DaveK

As you have found out coraline algae is just another in a long line of nuisance algaes.

For removing it from the glass, a razor blade scraper works best. Don't use a metal blade if you have an acrylic tank. For things like filter parts, you need to scrape it off. You can use anything that will not damage what you want to clean. I've used he back edge of a knife to scrape coraline off of the teeth in overflows. Hot water when you clean stuff also helps kill it when you clean stuff.

So I can just use a regular ole razor blade? The tank is a bio-cube and I believe it's glass so I will have to try it. Thanks for the help!!

catran

For any removable parts, powerheads etc., soak them in vinegar and water (I use mostly vinegar) and leave them for at least an hour or overnight if you can. The coralline wil come right off with a brush.

fata1ity

For any removable parts, powerheads etc., soak them in vinegar and water (I use mostly vinegar) and leave them for at least an hour or overnight if you can. The coralline wil come right off with a brush.

+1

So I can just use a regular ole razor blade? The tank is a bio-cube and I believe it's glass so I will have to try it. Thanks for the help!!

Yes. Scape it off and buy an urchin.

It seems like you aren't regularly cleaning the glass with a magnet cleaner, which allows the algae to grow.