coraline algae

Myaem

hey everyone,
i had a 15 gallon reef tank and just last week bought a 20 gallon tank and moved everything into the 20. its been about a week and im noticing the purple coraline is starting to turn white. Anybody have any ideas that can help me

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It may be from light exposure. Are you using newer/brighter lights in the new tank? It's common for coraline to bleach/fade with increase in light. Nothing to really worry about though. If the light is right for it, it will come back :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
maybe there are some other changes... maybe it was exposed to air... maybe water chemistry is different etc. . ..

KodiakBear

If corralline is exposed to air, it will die and turn white. When you moved everything from one tank to the other it would have caused this.
I noticed the corralline on my overflow box bleached every time I did a water change because of this. I had a straight line on my overflow box where the algae turned white, then I noticed during a water change that the line was right where the water level drops to when I took water out.
I started doing the water changes from the sump water and all the algae grew back after a couple months. My advice: wait it out. If your parameters are good, it will come back before you know it!