Coral Lifespan?

jcoopergd

The girlfriend and I were discussing pets the other day (we have many....), and were talking about the option of getting a bird, ie macaw or parrot. She brought up a good point, that at some point, if we got one, it would have to be inherited by our children, as the birds can live to be 75+ years old.

What about corals? I dont expect my fish to last that long, but what is the average life span of corals? I would think that in perfect or even near perfect water quailty, they could live indefeinatly? am i correct? or is there some sort of life cycle on the corals too?

j

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Looooooong time..... they should out live your bird easily. OMG, think of all the waterchanges needed over the next 50 yrs! :eek:

corvettephreek

well to my knowledge if you had your reef for 50 years, you would have ALOOOOOT more "rock" then you did when you stopped buying it. because some corals (hard) will die off and build up more and more, thus forming a reef.... that is all that LR is, dead corals inhabited by other organisms. I am no expert, but from what I have read once a coral dies it will only spawn another right on top of it, which is why some branch LR and some Fijian Rock just looks like corals and snailshells, clamshells, etc. Calcareous algae would continually take over building your reef for you and before you know it, all your LR is one peice. A friend of mine has a reef He started 28 years ago and over half of his LR is fused together. he doesnt mind, and I just called him to ask him this question and he says he hasnt had any die unless his tank crashed. so I guess as long as you keep params right in your tank, youll never lose a coral.... :) JMO

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
jcoopergd said:
Coooll.....my kids better love their inheritance!

j

LOL! You may want to insert a clause that reads: "any monies paid from the estate are contingent upon all water parameters of inherited REEF to remain stable"

:D