Coral ID...

DaBird

I have had this coral for about 8 mths. It's on about an 8 in. rock with an oyster and green 'shrooms, this coral has a ton of these 1/8 in poylps and they have a pretty good sting to other corals. It's encrusting I think, but it's hard to tell, the polyps just kind of dissapear on the rock, it's like they just "melt" into the rock, or fade, like they flatten out and are just gone (it's hard to explain)...at other times these polyps are almost 1/2 an inch long...It's beautiful, anyone want to try for a cupie doll?...LOL

Attachments

• unidCoral.JPG
    unidCoral.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 61

kimoy

is it a one whole piece or individual polyps? looks like an elegance but couldn't really tell by the picture which also resembles a paly.

DaBird

The whole coral, the center of the rock is the oyster, you can see the coral that I'm talking about as the horseshoe shaped area..

Attachments

• Coral ID-1.JPG
    Coral ID-1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 53

aquaman3680

Ok if you could take a picture of the skeleton rather than the polyps that would help out a lot! It is defiantly an LPS, looks like a tubinera of some kind (pogoda cup mabey?)

Matt

DaBird

Can the Polyps on a Hydnophora be this large? Thanks for the input everyone...keep 'em coming...

aquaman3680

hydnophoras cant be this long of polyps heres a pic of mine...
DSC_1615.jpg

Matt

DaBird

Thanks Aquaman,that was my thinking on the hydnophora's, I also have one of those, The one I posted for is strange and no one has been able to ID it...

vdituri

I'm going to try Sasquatch's trick.
It's a aiptasia! It's going to take over the tank!
Quick, send it to me before it's too late!

Someday I'll be smart enough to give you a real answer
instead of a smart alec instead.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I doubt it's a pagoda, was this a HHiker ? If so do you know the origin of the rock, aquacultured or Indo-Pacific ?

DaBird

It was a hhiker on the 'shroom rock...Don't have a clue as to origin of the rock, darnit...new pick comming...

DaBird

Retracted...it has a green mat that it retracts into...(and 'squatchy, it's smaller than a bread box...LOL)

Attachments

• Retracted-1.JPG
    Retracted-1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 25

flricordia

What Dabird? I was giving advice to you on how to acclimate the corals I sent and you have corals that look like that? I think you should be giving me the advice.
Wish I had an ID for you. I'm just a softie.