coral frag

dltt

Hi all, I have a piece of coral about 1/2 inch long and about 3/8 in diameter that is laying in the sand bed. It looks like it has a couple of very small polyps (maybe 1 to 2 mm) on it. I believe it is from a piece off of a zoanthid colony I got a couple of weeks back. One of the girls at the lfs said she starts frags with super glue. So my question is can I super glue this piece to a rock? If I understand her correctly she just puts a dab of super glue on the coral, then attaches it to the rock in the aquarium. I am a little concerned about putting super glue in the water. All help appreciated, thanks.
Dan

catran

Yes. One thing is, be very careful with zoanthids. Google "palytoxin" and you will see why-very poisonous. One thing I'm not sure of is if it is attached to a small piece of rock. If it is, it will be easier. Wear gloves and take the rock with polyps or polyps out of the water. Use super glue gel only, not the regular stuff, it's too thin and I believe the gel has a slightly longer work time. Put a couple of drops on the bottom of the polyps and hurry to stick it on a rock in your tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I just super glued a polyp to a rock on Sunday and the gel worked much better......just don't bury it so that the "opening" has super glue around it, try to keep it on the bottom and allow it time to set before you put it back in or your shrimps might rip it off (mine did!!!)

dltt

My wife is from Russia and she calls my peppermints "little hooligans".....lol. They are miscievious little rascals, but I have not seen any more aptasia since they have been in the tank!