Coral Feeding

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Just make sure te particle are super fine and not very much at all,you are trying to have some tiny microscopic particles land it in mucus web, you might want to move it up a touch in the light column.

Mike

Curtswearing

Originally posted by Scooterman
I'm going to get color back into that thing, even if I have to spray paint it!:eek:

Inland Reef is currently doing a study on the best spray paint for corals. I would wait to see how that shapes up.
:D

mredman

I like oysters in my "witches brew" - they help provide anti-vibrio resistance (according to Borneman).

My formula also is part of the success to keeping dendronepthyas.

Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
hey Mike the reason I said no on the oysters and clams is that they also contain large quantities of heavy metals, also copper. Clams contain 6.1 ppm of copper and oysters 2.9

Mike

Maxx

My formula also is part of the success to keeping dendronepthyas.
What else do you consider part of your success w/ Dendro corals??
How often are you feeding them? Where are they located in the water column and how much current are they getting?
Thank you,
Nick

mredman

The dendronepthyas are located almost 50 inches south of the MH/VHO lighting. The tank itself is 42 inches deep. I feed the dendros twice a day - the first feeding is whatever they get that the fish don't consume. The second feeding is selective feeding with a turkey baster. I alternate with my witches brew and cyclop-eeze. The current is moderate in this area because they are somewhat inset between live rock. The area on the bottom is also filtered to some degree because the acrylic brace on the top of the aquarium is directly over the dendros. Mine are a pinkish-orange color.

MIke

mredman

Dendronephthya

Attached is a picture of the original specimen, taken by travis in September.

I also have 10 or more "babies", some which are more than one inch tall.

Mike

Attachments

• rate-tank.jpg
    rate-tank.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 40

mredman

Mojoreef, all clams (and other invertebrates) absorb transitional metals such as copper and zinc and upon examination, have significant higher loads than surrounding sea water. This biological condition is the reason why invertebrates can be killed by high loads of metals like copper. These creatures are too efficient removing these ions from the water. In addition, all animals need copper, zinc, lead, etc.......just not in toxic quantities.

Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I hear ya Mredman and agree. All I was tying to reference was that clams/oysters have like a 1000% more copper then say fish or shrimp. yet contain the same ammount in regards to protiens and so on. Using it as an everyday addition to your reef could add up pretty quick an total copper and such added to the system.

As long as floks know this they can figue if it is worth it to them or not

MIke

mredman

Good point Mojoreef! I use the oysters quite sparingly in my formula. The principal ingredient is shrimp, followed by fish. Eric Borneman states that the anti-vibrio properties of oysters makes it a worthwhile agreement. As we all know, we are dealing with an inexact science. I also used squid one time and nearly broke the blender!

Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
LOL I have gone through a few blenders over the years. I hear ya again on the inexact science, I have widdled down my ingredients to just salmon, shrimp and scallops as far as seafood is concerned in my mush. All three are loaded in aminos and protiens and have the least ammount of the nasties.

thanks for the talk

mike

dgasmd

So guys, what does your fish/coral mush contain?? How often do you feed it? How often do you make it? Do you always use the same ingredients?
I pretty much burn a blender with every batch I ahve made so far. I am going to begin including the cost of the blender in the final cost of the food. It is not coming out cheap anymore and Hamilton is getting rich off of me.:D :D :D

mojoreef

Just a reefer
LOL Alberto I hear ya. Lots of folks use all sorts of different stuff in thier mixes. I believe Erik B has about everything bt the kitchen sink in his :p .
I keep mine pretty simple (because i am lasy). Fish/corals/inverts and such have basically the same needs chemically (yes certain species of each can have special requirements if so then just add it to the mix) To give them this I use shrimp, scallops, salmon, nori and selcon. The contents of these basically provides all they need. The main thing you want to do is to make sure you have the right size particles, specially when it come to corals. So when making the blend make sure you get a good selection from fish size chunks to microscopic. For my tank I feed one ice cubes worth a day. For my tang I have to throw in about a quarter of a head of lettuce a day, but that is a different story.:rolleyes: .
You will find that enriched blend like this will be far superior to any live food you could use.

Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Oh yea on the blender my came with an attachment. I think for making coleslaw??? it works great and dosent smoke the unit. I will try to find out what it is called.

MIke

dgasmd

Lettuce? Why you feed lettuce to your fish? They have a lettuce deficiency? I guess your tank doesn't grow it like the ocean does ah?:D :D :D Just kidding, although I still wonder why you add lettuce for vegetable matter when you can use cheap nori.

I guess I have been overdoing my blend since I add probably everything under the sun to it andyet I am at least 47 ingredients short of Eric B.'s receipe. Mine includes even 3-4 different flake foods, pelet foods, children multivitamins, selcon, and all the seafood I can get my hands on. This last time I even added cyclo-peeze to it.

I wonder about the "red meat" fish. I always add the white meat fish because I think the red ones like salmon has a lot of fat content in it even if you get the skin off. Maybe I am looking too much into it.

That attachment is probably a food processor. Most people use them to chop vegetables.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Thats what it is Alberto a vegi chopper. yep Blender mush has gone from something simple to some pretty creative mixtures, lol
This vlamingii that just crested 12 inches is a pig and will eat almost everything EXCEPT nori, I wish it wold but it wont touch it. I freeze the lettuce and only use organic type.
When it comes to making a your own food you just want to put in what the things you are feeding need, this is why I just use what I have in my and nothing more elaborate. Instead of looking at it like shrimp/clams/fish and so on, just look at it like protien/ammino acids/lipinds and so on, it makes it easier, lol.
The reason I like salmon over white fish is that salmon has a ton of fatty acids and amminos and it also has a protien that helps with fish coloration (cant remember the name for the life of me).

Mike

Maxx

Mike (Mredman),
I love the pics of your Dendro! I know Travis takes great pics, but I've always loved the look of the Dendro corals. Do you feel that your feeding continuously and heavily , (as Dendro's require being non photosynthetic) is something to pay close attention to with regards to excess food not being consumed by the corals and then spoiling in the tank? I'm just concerned that these corals and their heavy feeding requirements makes them a candidate for a larger tank, or a tank w/ a monster skimmer. I asking you this becasue in all honesty your the one person I've spoken with who has had some measure of success w/ these animals. ( I would definately count reproduction as a success!) Where did you get your Dendro's from?
Mike's (Mojo and Mredman) and Alberto,
Thanks for all the info on feeding these animals. I have alot of experiance w/ fish, but my knowledge of corals and inverts was pretty limited until I discovered the online forums like this. Until recently I'd only been feeding my tank Phytoplex by Kent. You guys are definately helping me and others overcome the pitfalls and chasms of ignorance , (lack of knowledge), and inexperiance by posting up what has and hasnt worked for you guys and why .
Thank you so much!

Nick

Last edited:

dgasmd

Well, tonite I was taking some shots of the corals and fish after feeding and some came out nice. I figured since we were talking about feeding, I would post a couple that relate to that. They are the product of feeding the tank and fish.

Look at this first one. The brains tentacles are all out ready to catch food. I do not feed any coral directly. This is the result of them "knownig" food made it in.

Attachments

• actinictrio.jpg
    actinictrio.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 47

dgasmd

In this one, you can see sweeping tentacles coming out already. Both of my brains have tentacles that are up to 7 inches long:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

dgasmd

This last one is an outstanding representation of what food availability will do to corals that will amke then react. This coral is completely closed at all tiems except for the following 3-4 hours after feeding the tank/fish.

Attachments

• newtank1.jpg
    newtank1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 45