Coral Feeding

mredman

The one mystery about buying carnation corals (dendronepthya) is that you don't know at what depth the specimen was captured. For all I know, I may have a specimen that came in shallow water and someone may follow the same husbandry practices as myself and fail.

I bought my dendro from Global Fish & Pets in Houston, but I have seen this species in three different LFSs in the Houston area.

My dendro is very deep in the water column (about 50 inches under the lights), partially shaded, and is maintained at a temperature not exceeding 76 degrees.

The dendro has two feedings per day - one is the general fish/invert feeding at 9 in the morning. In the evening, I feed again, but also hit the the dendro with a turkey baster with the "witches brew" followed by cyclop-eeze.

The dendro is normally in full bloom 12-18 hours per day. It is not a morning specimen. After the lights are turned on in the morning, it shuts down to about 2 in the afternoon. However, sometimes it opens in the morning around feeding time (9 am), then shuts down again for its siesta until the early afternoon.

Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Alberto great picture buddy, thanks for sharing.

Mredman very very solid post, great information for folks.

Mike