Coral feeding help needed

Pool Man

I've never been big on feeding my corals, but I need to change that. I'm getting more into the SPS, Favias and Brains. "Feeding" my tank will help my Zoas too. I've held on to several of my favorite softies during my upgrade to my 200, but never really fed them directly in the 120. I'm wanting to develop a regular feeding routine that will get the job done. I have several different things I've picked up in the past 6 months or so. Feeding diverse food = more complete/ balanced diet?
Things on the shelf (or fridge):
Kent Marine ZooPlex
Kent Marine PhytoMax
Cyclopeze
Marine Snow
Silversides
Cubed Mysis, Krill and Brine
Thinking I could alternate the Zoo, Phyto, Cyclopeze and Marine Snow daily. 5AM whole tank feeding? Or should I be feeding this during "Daylight hours"? Target feed my Brain, Torch and Frogspawn fine chunks of Silversides once per week. I know there are alot of other variables.. water quality, lighting ect.. I can get into those if you feel we need to. Just trying not to write a book on the first post. Any thoughts or suggestion are greatly appriciated!

silva218

Sorry if I have missed it. But how often will you be feeding the tank? I see you will target feed brains and such once a week, but nothing on the number of times you will feed the tank. Your tank should be fine with regular feedings. If you want increased growth than you can feed after lights out atleast an hour or 2 after so feeder tentacles can expand out. As long as you keep up with water changes and levels don't get too high than you should be fine! Goodluck!

P.S. Marine snow is useless, might as well throw it away... there is a study on clam growth in captivity using different types of phytoplankton live and dead, and the tank with the most casualties was marine snow. Even more than the tank with no added phyto. DT's phyto seemed to outcompete any others.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Target feeding is a good idea particularly for the Brain corals but the problem with feeding the whole tank often is the subsequent excessive nutrients that can lead to serious algae problems. Which skimmer are you using ? How often do you do water changes ? The Zooplex and Cyclopeeze is fine but the Marine snow/Phytomax I wouldn't use. Phyto is of no benefit to photosynthetic corals and Marine snow is just dissolved organic matter that your tank is already is loaded with and is algae fuel.

Pool Man

Thinking I could alternate the Zoo, Phyto, Cyclopeze and Marine Snow daily. Maybe not the Marine Snow or Phyto. Monday= Zooplex, Tues.= Cyclopeze, Wed. = Zooplex.... an so on. Feeding early in the morning before I head off to work. Even my "Off" days I still get up by 6.

I'm running an ASM G4+ skimmer along with seperate carbon & phosban reactors from BRS.

Tonight I fed all my night-time thieves first.. Brittle & Serpent Stars and shrimp too. Then I target feed my Brain, War Coral, Favia, Bubble Coral and Candy Canes. Fed each small pieces of chopped silversides. Less than 1/4" squares. All were happy to take it. The Hammer Corals and Torch were pretty much drawn in for the night. Should I try them during the day?