Coral Dip - best brand to use?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That's a solid process. You use the observation tank as a last step which is a good idea for everyone.

Nightfall

Thanks for sharing this information. New to hobby and everything in my tank came from same place so always feel safe adding to tank....but he gets his stuff someplace too and sometimes what I pick up is new stock in store not like the sand and rock I got from him initially was 10-15 years in his DT at store so was well cycled...and anyone reading my chronicle knows I have had 5 surprise hitchhikers cause of this (thankfully all were considered good guys...even the kracken sized bristle worms) but could have been much more disastrous. Gonna setup a small 5 gallon I have lying around for a QT tank...no rocks or sand just salt water, power head, heater, and light. This kind of information...the brands used, the mixture formula should be stickied in coral section. This is too important for noobs like me to not get to read about or know about until after we have blundered and do a search.

foxsavage

I think I have a decent method to avoid pests. I first peel the coral off the plug, if it won't come off cleanly I remove as much of the plug/rock as possible with bone cutters/chisel. I inspect it well under magnification and clean anything that looks suspicious. After that I acclimate them I dip them with RPS All Out, Zoa/Paly and NPS also get a peroxide dip. Then they get remounted on a new plug/rock and put in a frag tank with good lighting and flow for observation for at least 2 weeks dipping them in All Out once a week. If nothing suspicious happens I dip them once more in Revive right before I put them in the display. I've dealt with practically every well known pest in this hobby and this is the method that has worked for me with my latest tank. It's been up and running 8 months now with not one single thing I didn't add myself and no macro algae of any type.

reeferman

i have been using Bayer for well over 2 years.not saying its not possible BUT if there were residual effects,i think i would know by now.ive used bayer at 20x my recommended strength with no ill effects.all dips intended for corals are actually a LOT harsher on the coral than Bayer is.ive yet to lose a coral to a Bayer dip,including smooth skin acros,which have a big problem with most coral dips.
there is a product out there that Dr Kate Rawlinson is testing that does kill the aefw eggs but she wont divulge what it is quite yet.

foxsavage

RPS All Out claims that it kills aefw eggs. I don't know if it really kills them all or not because I haven't had them to test it.

Oxylebius

In my case I'm dipping sensitive SPS - No body has mentioned what they use to dip just in case either the Bayer or Coral RX causes issues. What do you use to dip to treat infection or after fragging? Anyone use Seachem coral disinfectant for treatment of infection or prevention of after fragging? Thoughts on this?

reeferman

when im speaking on dipping,im mostly talking acroporas as thats mostly what i have.IME the Bayer has never caused an issue in any acros,smoothskin deepwaters like red dragon included and ive did 20x dip strength.Coral RX has caused issues for me on some more sensitive species of acros even at regular strength.
its not often that i do but if i suspect something fungal or need a disinfectant,i use TLF Revive or maybe a quick Lugols bath.

pgrtgunner

What do they use on the reef in the Pacific or Atlantic oceans?? Do they stand
in line for a dip or a shower of Bayer?

Snid

Good thread. I'll be trying corals for the first time in a few months. This thread taught me a lot and gave me a few more things to read up on.

Choff

I have always used coral Rx, but the stuff expires far too fast for my liking. I love their 1 shot packs, but for some reason they don't put expiration dates on those so I don't trust them.

I jumped on the Bayer bandwagon and used it for the first time yesterday. Only thing I didn't like about it was the water is milky white and you can't really see the corals. Otherwise seemed OK and I will be using it for the foreseeable future.

...stupid auto correct

reeferman

Bayer is soooo much gentler on the corals.seems strange as coral dips were designed for corals!
deepwater acros dont fare well in coral dips[especially CoralRX]but they dont mind Bayer one bit.[IMHE]

Oxylebius

I might end up kicking myself later but I just added a decent sized coral to my tank w/o dipping or QT. First time I didn't buy a frag.

My QT has a new fish in it right now and I will start to use products to get rid of parasites, so the coral couldn't go in there.

The reason why I didn't dip is b/c the coral came w/a coral crab in it. I noticed it while acclimating to tank params. To save the crab, I didn't dip. The coral came on a piece of rock, so who knows what is inside it. There was a orange sponge, red sponge, and forams on the outside of the rock. Unfortunately there also was some green and red hairy algae, which I took a toothbrush to before it went in the tank.

reeferman

if we are talking acropora,i would gladly lose an acro crab to prevent introducing aefw.next time,try to pick it out with a toothpick before dipping