Copperband success and failures

Billerbong

So since reading about Paul B's success with copperbands it has me thinking... I ordered the supplies tonight to make a brine feeder and hatchery. I'm not sure what fish I really want possibly both but, the feeder has me thinking of copperbands and mandarins as a possibility. I had initially thought my tank needs to be huge and 5 years with a huge fuge to support either but maybe it's not the case.

I've read up on CCB's and it looks like they need a tank of at least 100gallons. Does anyone know from experience about their growth rate? I'm looking to hear the different lifespans people have had in different tank sizes. I would never want to push my limit or have a really unhappy unhealthy fish but I am wondering if I could get a small quarter sized one and keep it in my 65 for a year. I will be moving to a more permanent situation in a year and will upgrade. My LFS seems to get them in and hold them for quite some time until, he is sure they are feeding on prepared food. My tank is also pretty open with no wall or rock pile, just a few structures with archways and caves. Any advice or anecdotes would be great.

DaveK

Keep a couple of things in mine when you look at Paul B's fantastic tank and it's livestock. It's a very large tank, and Paul is a very experienced reek keeper. Due to this level of experience, he can do things that would result in a tank of very dead livestock for most typical reef keepers. This doesn't mean you can't keep a copperband butterfly, but you do need to go about it carefully.

Because the fish in question does require a very large tank, and is very skittish you don't want to lesson your chances by trying to keep the fish in a smaller tank. It is often the case that the large tank upgrade you want never comes about. Also, your planning on moving in a year or so. Even if you got the fish now and it did well, your going to have to move the fish.

I recommend you put off getting a copperband butterfly at least until you move and get the new tank setup for it. Once you have the tank well established, about 6 months or so, then add the copperband you want. Don't try to rush things and force the issue now.

Mike Johnson

DaveK said a key word "skittish". CBB's are very timid. Your clowns and clown goby are going to pick on the CBB. Maybe not hurt it, but definitely harass it. Butterflyfish in general don't take well to intimidation and they will just exist and not grow.

One reason for a larger tank is so each individual fish can have their home territory (where they sleep) and there is still room for community swimming.

I'm not adverse to keeping a small CBB in a 65, it definitely can be done. I'm just saying you have to pick a Butterflyfish's room mates carefully.

I'm not typing any of this because of what I've read here or there it's from experience.

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/succeed-with-copperband-butterflyfish-chelmon-rostratus-2888/

Billerbong

Thank you for details and experience with this fantastic fish. Both of you have brought up so great points, I don't want my fish to just live I want them to thrive in my tank. Interesting about the tank mates, I haven't found many details about that. Seems like people have tried all different fish with them and I couldn't identify any patterns from the threads.

If I do go down this road (long way off) I have another tank (in my classroom) that I could through some of my more aggressive fish into. Maybe you could elaborate on good tank mates that you have personally had success with. I didn't realize clowns and the clown goby are a potential problem, thanks!

Regarding moving I will be starting a PhD program and a move is inevitable and seems like the perfect time to do an upgrade.

After reading for hours on these fish I have another ?
Do people typically recommend a larger tank due to the amount of live rock necessary to sustain them as far as their eating habits, much like a mandarin? I understand they are skittsh and I am sure size helps with this as well. Seems like these fish really need a tank built around their needs from the get go. If they were to live with a few small timid tank mates (2) in a smaller tank (65-75gallon) with plenty of pods and such (refugium to keep stock up) would that work?

I also want to stress that I am purely researching this and am far from acting on this. I just think they are amazing fish and want to know more!

Mr.Reeefer

Other tank mates is a huge role with the copperband as stated by Mike, Only other timid fish should be housed with them or a much bigger tank is needed, but they can live happily in a smaller than recommended tank providing you choose fish that will make a relaxed environment.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Not to hijack your thread, but I want to congratulate you on embarking upon getting your phD. I knew you were a teacher. Never ask you what you taught and does that mean you now have a masters degree?

Thank you for details and experience with this fantastic fish. Both of you have brought up so great points, I don't want my fish to just live I want them to thrive in my tank. Interesting about the tank mates, I haven't found many details about that. Seems like people have tried all different fish with them and I couldn't identify any patterns from the threads.

If I do go down this road (long way off) I have another tank (in my classroom) that I could through some of my more aggressive fish into. Maybe you could elaborate on good tank mates that you have personally had success with. I didn't realize clowns and the clown goby are a potential problem, thanks!

Regarding moving I will be starting a PhD program and a move is inevitable and seems like the perfect time to do an upgrade.

After reading for hours on these fish I have another ?
Do people typically recommend a larger tank due to the amount of live rock necessary to sustain them as far as their eating habits, much like a mandarin? I understand they are skittsh and I am sure size helps with this as well. Seems like these fish really need a tank built around their needs from the get go. If they were to live with a few small timid tank mates (2) in a smaller tank (65-75gallon) with plenty of pods and such (refugium to keep stock up) would that work?

I also want to stress that I am purely researching this and am far from acting on this. I just think they are amazing fish and want to know more!

Paul B

A copperband seems to give many hobbiests problems. They seem to be an intelligent fish just by studying them and seeing how they act when no one is looking and they are very curious. I have spent some time with them underwater and they are one of my favorite fish, but they do have some requirements. Yes they can live in a 65 gallon tank as I have kept them in 40s. But a 100 or more is so much better and not just a 100, but a 100 gallon long. My tank is 6' wide and I can see my adult copperband is frustrated. He dashes across the tank very fast and has to make a quick stop at the end. Most fish are comfortable just swimming circles in a tank like a clown or wrasse. I have had many copperbands and I like to get them small. Like the size of a quarter and in a year they will triple in size and in another year they will be 5" long. In the sea they get a lot larger than that.
The secret with them is live worms and lots of them. That is what they eat in the sea just like that article I wrote about them that is linked above. They should also be fed clams.
Copperbands are jumpers and that's the way I usually lose them.

They will eat new born brine shrimp but not as a staple as they would need thousands. It would work for a tiny one but an adult eats them like candy and you need meatier foods. Feeding twice a day is better especially in a newer tank.
Good luck.

turtlekid99

I have kept a copper band in my RSM-250 for awhile now, it is doing well eating its food and such, the other tank mates don't really bother it except for the jewel damsel, who only occasionally will harass it, over all it is doing great in my tank. I would defiantly get one from your LFS and preferably one that they have told you is doing really well. Goodluck.

Mr.Reeefer

A copperband seems to give many hobbiests problems. They seem to be an intelligent fish just by studying them and seeing how they act when no one is looking and they are very curious. I have spent some time with them underwater and they are one of my favorite fish, but they do have some requirements. Yes they can live in a 65 gallon tank as I have kept them in 40s. But a 100 or more is so much better and not just a 100, but a 100 gallon long. My tank is 6' wide and I can see my adult copperband is frustrated. He dashes across the tank very fast and has to make a quick stop at the end. Most fish are comfortable just swimming circles in a tank like a clown or wrasse. I have had many copperbands and I like to get them small. Like the size of a quarter and in a year they will triple in size and in another year they will be 5" long. In the sea they get a lot larger than that.
The secret with them is live worms and lots of them. That is what they eat in the sea just like that article I wrote about them that is linked above. They should also be fed clams.
Copperbands are jumpers and that's the way I usually lose them.

They will eat new born brine shrimp but not as a staple as they would need thousands. It would work for a tiny one but an adult eats them like candy and you need meatier foods. Feeding twice a day is better especially in a newer tank.
Good luck.

What worms do you use to feed Paul?

Paul B

Live blackworms and live white worms. I wrote a few articles on them on here someplace. All my fish get live worms and if it were not for live worms, I would not be in this hobby. Most of my fish are spawning and they usually live long enough to die of old age.

Mr.Reeefer

Ok sweet, I have found somewhere to order them so I will have some on the way in the next couple of days.
Do you water change with RO or just tap water?
Do you rinse them thoroughly when receiving?
Do you refrigerate in shallow water?
Do you water change every couple of days to keep them alive?
Anything else you do to keep them alive for long periods?

Thanks mate

Paul B

I don't get them online in bulk so I don't do any of those things. I built a worm keeper for them. I posted that keeper many times someplace on here. I use RO water and only change their water every month or so. But if yopu keep them in a refrigerator, it is different.

Paul B

The tray makes sure the water is oxygenated and allows more area for bacteria to grow. It has to be cycled just like any tank or the worms will turn to snot in a few hours. They re produce but not fast enough. Take a small powerhead and put it in a small container in the tank. The worms don't swim so they don't make it over the top edge of the container to get in the pump but the water level needs to be higher than that container so the pump works. The pump pumps water to the left side of the tray and into a small container filled with carbon (not shown) I also have some eggcrate in the tray for bacteria (not in this picture) and the worms like to be confined in the holes of the egggrate with the water flowing over them.