Copper treatment for marine ich questions

Taikoboi

Everything that touches copper treated water should never be used in a reef tank again. So yes it is too late but you can minimize the damage by removing the copper ASAP with carbon and:eek:r cuprisorb. You will need to chuck all your sand and rocks.

So I have this opportunity to get a replacement tank from marine land since my tank is slightly leaking. I was thinking of just starting over and keep my fish in my qt for 6 weeks of copper treatment.

My question is can I just soak my sand and rocks in fresh water for a few days at high temp to get rid of any ich? Otherwise I'll just have to buy new sand and live rock.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Your rock and sand probably absorbed the copper which is not a good thing. IMO it limits that you can do with it and you already have ich. Of you're getting a new tank, definitely ditch the sand and I would consider new rock.... Live rock or dry Marco seeded with new live rock. Better safe than sorry and this way you still have the option of going to a reef.

Taikoboi

Your rock and sand probably absorbed the copper which is not a good thing. IMO it limits that you can do with it and you already have ich. Of you're getting a new tank, definitely ditch the sand and I would consider new rock.... Live rock or dry Marco seeded with new live rock. Better safe than sorry and this way you still have the option of going to a reef.

Thanks, I'll just do that. Recommend any sand brand or crushed coral? I plan to do reef in the future once it's established.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Stay away from crushed coral, it will trap detritus and cause Nitrate issues over time.

Taikoboi

Carib Sea Special Grade sand is the usual recommendation.

How much should I get? I have 93 gallon cube 30x30x30 not sure what's a good amount of inches. A calculator online for 4" thickness 187lbs. I think that's a bit much..

Thanks

Taikoboi

My old tank that I'll be redoing with my replacement.

ju8ejuje.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think a pound a gallon usually get a solid sand bed. I'd start with 80 pounds and increase from there. I'd shoot for about a 3" sand bed

ziggy

+1