copper in tank

rookiesalt

i have a 55 gallon reef tank that has been running for 3 years.i just bought a 135 gallon tank that i want to move everything from my 55 gal into.about 3 years ago the fellow that sold me the tank used cooper in it to treat some sick fish.the tank is half full of rock and has a 3 to 4 inch sand bed. is there anyway i could use the sand or rock?

Last edited:

SaltySam

Hey Rookie Welcome!
Good to see a fellow S. Carolina reefer.
Sorry I can't help you with your question, I'm sure someone here will
have some experience with it.
135g sounds nice. What type corals are you keeping in the 55 now? How long have you had the 55 gallon? Post some pics if you get a chance.
Henry

Mike

I would have to say no because from what i heard the sand and rock will always leach copper back into the water. But I am not an expert on this. anyone care to chime in ?

Tarasco

Copper is pretty much lethal to all inverts, and it'll stay with the sand/rock/tank for as long as you own it. If the tank that you're planning on using the sand and rock for only has fish in it, then you should be fine. But if you plan on having invertebrates, corals, and other stuff like that, you should not use the sand and rock from that tank.

And welcome to RS!

corvettephreek

Iheard of running a ro/di unit or a copper treating system through the tank for 2 to 3 weeks using fresh water, as long as you stir up the sand freqquently and turn the rock over repeatedly. once or twice a day should suffice. I had the same problem in my old tank before i got it and it tested almost no copper when I was done cycling everything. of course, a cheaper alternative would be just to start from scratch, and sell the rock and sand to someone with a FO or a FOWLR tank. good luck!!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
PaulB who started a thread 30year old reef on RC mentioned he used copper in his tank several times and now he has corals and inverts and they seem to be okay, now how long does it take before you can use it is the question...that I don't know maybe adding a hermit crab and see how he does would be the only way to find out.

Witfull

theres an old addage,,,better safe than sorry, i would ditch the rock and sand. my reasoning is, as biological tugor breaks down the rocks it will slowly yet contantly release copper that may be locked into the rock, and as surface erosion caused by algae and other surface abrasions by livestock. whether or not its a leathal dosage, it will have some effect on creatures. also, you dont know how much he treated (Cu/ppm) or for how long. all factors pointing me to a fresh start.

Gina

RS STAFF
I would have to agree with the others. I would get rid of the rock and sand and replace it with new. I would not want to risk it.

Brucey

Copper can take years / or may even never subside from Rock and Sand. I'm not sure about running an RO/DI unit to get rid of the copper . . . .

corvettephreek said:
and it tested almost no copper when I was done cycling everything

Yep, even untracable amounts of copper can kill all sorts of inverts. They are really sensitive to it. But I agree, give the rock and sand to a FO lover and make yourself a few £££'s too. I've seen people selling it on EBAY !!!!

Brucey

corvettephreek

yea, just to be safe. I mean, even trace amounts like what comes through your tap can kill most (if not all) inverts. also- if he used copper in the tank, you dont know what kind of funky diseases or parasites (that are immune to copper) that may be lurking in that rock or sand. best of luck!!!

rookiesalt

thanks for the help from everyone out there. i am still undicided...it seems like a waste not to be able to use the sand and 130 pounds of rock.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
it seems like a waste not to be able to use the sand and 130 pounds of rock.

I would seriously consider selling it to someone who has a FO setup, maybe post it in your local reef club's website. It would just be too risky IMO to chance it and potentially lose all your corals and inverts.

BoomerD

it seems like a waste not to be able to use the sand and 130 pounds of rock.

Then go ahead and use it, but you have been warned. Don't be surprised if the only thing that survives in there are a few hardy fish. Trace amounts of copper is toxic to almost ALL corals and other inverts. If you think the cost of replacing the sand and rock is high, consider how much constantly replacing your corals and fish will be.

Paul B

PaulB who started a thread 30year old reef on RC mentioned he used copper in his tank several times and now he has corals and inverts and they seem to be okay, now how long does it take before you can use it is the question...that I don't know maybe adding a hermit crab and see how he does would be the only way to find out.

Actually I waited about two years before I put in inverts but I may not want to take the chance now. That gravel is still in my tank, so it could be done but I wouldn't recommend it. The hermit crab test is not too good. Hermit crabs can withstand quite a dose of copper. A few times I treated with crabs by accident and they diden't seem to care, for a day anyway. They will of course die if You leave them in there. Anemones are way more sensitive to copper and will exhibit symptoms very soon if not immediately. So I would imagine that if you have a few anemones that you don't need, you can test with them. I know, not a good Idea. :guns:
If you feel that you must use that gravel, I would keep a copper remover in there for a couple of years anyway. Copper can "hide" in a calcarous substrait and come back into solution with a pH change.
Have a great day.
Paul :whstlr: