Cool extra or future problem?

Tom Vick

This critter came with my last frag purchase. Is this thing hanging out with the coral like some crabs do or is it making a meal of it?

Witfull

looks like a mini brittlestar, due to the black/grey banding, if it is,,,,harmless goodguy~

KimPossible

I second the Brittle Star, I have some of these guys in my tank too!
Great Deitravoirs! They do a spledid job of keeping the inaccessible areas of your tank cleaned up.

Witfull

Witfull said:
looks like a mini brittlestar, due to the black/grey banding, if it is,,,,harmless goodguy~
tom...its fine, i swear. they live in the rock, only sticking their legs out. they may move from one rock to another, but something has to make them rixk the move. they a delicate critters.

19baby_serpent.jpg

Last edited:

mattie

RS Sponsor
it is defintly a starfish i have seen this exact one before... i do not know anything about it but in the tank i saw it in the owner was having troubles with acropora's which should have be unrealted to the starfish but he believed strongly that these starfish were part of the cause......... he got a coral that had 1 or 2 of them and they multiplied to a frighting amount in his tank ....every hole or crevice had the little legs poping out..with in 2 years.... and what i found very strange about these starfish was they didn't really hide with the lights on and nothing would eat them......becouse he tried to remove them with a 6-line and a coral banded w/no luck
so my very limited knowledge on these inverts would be, you do need that tiny lil thing & try harder to match the pic to find out more about it....... to make a more informed decision

KimPossible

*thank you ..wetwebmedia
Does it look like this?
Ophiocoma_paucigranulataCOZ.jpg
Ophiocoma paucigranulata, the Spiny Brittle Star. Tropical West Atlantic. 4-6 inches in diameter. Have pale colored arms in their middles. Found in association with living corals. Cozumel image at night.

Or this???
Ophiocoma%20alexandri%20GAL.jpg
Ophiocoma alexandri Lyman 1860, Alexander's Brittle Star. Indo-Pacific. Disc size to 0.9 in., arms to 7.1 inches in length. Feed on detritus both day and night by extending their arms from crevices, beneath rocks. Southern California to Peru, including the Galapagos Islands. Galapagos pic.

There is a green bristle star that is a predatory fish eater.
Try to get a little better pic of the critter if you can :D

mattie

RS Sponsor
these star fish are very small 1 to 1.5 inch
they may feed on the mucus secreted by the acropora.