Cool and light-up your RED MAX 250 cabinet for $20 Bucks

Malexiam

Hi everyone!

I want to share my experience with all and hope it can be good use for some with the under cabinet heating problem with the COOLER "kind of ironic", well if you own a RSM 250 you know chances are if you want to keep temp around 77-79 you will need a COOLER unless you live in very cold areas all year round.
Well I was hesitate to purchase the fan that is made by Red Sea, I just thought it was over priced $75+, and I knew I could get a better fan for much less.

Well I order a small fan from Cooler guys with temperature activated sensor "pretty cool", installed the fan with two aluminium brackets and realized the my fan was to small and my design was not working at all, so I kept the fan because returning was not I want to do, then I went to computer/tv store and purchased a CPU fan from cooler master (super flow 200) super quiet with built in LED blue (white or red also available) lights and the best part $15.00, Well I decided to add to the wood panel that I got from Lowe's (pre-cut wood 1'x 2'), the result was incredible, this fan alone is keeping the cabinet between 79-81f and I have the other fan to kick in in case temp gets to over 83f, that chiller is working much better with ventilation, cabinet is cool, my Apex system install in same compartment is super cool as well plus the LED look pretty cool illuminating the rear of tanks well

The hardest part was cutting the wood, but I love this little projects, I had to cut a 7.50 inches circle, but I was able to easily achieve this with a rotozip, or you can use a router then all was left to do is install four wood screws to hold the fan and to power the fan all you need is to split the power cable and use a old 12v power supply, which I had at home or you can pick-up one cheap on amazon or eBay etc...

If you want to get really pretty here you could paint the wood white or black to match you cabinet color , I decided to leave like this for now, one more thing I cut openings for the chiller hose and another on the bottom for the wires....

here some pictures

uhyse7em.jpg
aduhuqum.jpg

Danreef

The computer fan is working all the time ? Day and night ?

What was the temperature in that section of your house ?

Malexiam

The computer fan is working all the time ? Day and night ?

What was the temperature in that section of your house ?

Yeah for now the computer fan its always on,its rated for 30.000 hours of operation (almost 4 years) if stay on 24/7 I am looking to add a thermostat control outlet, house temp is around 77-78

Malexiam

Update, The wood panels that you see were not screwed into white cabinet but are been held with 3M Command picture hanger on all four corners, it grips so hard i had a hard time just separating the pieces!
got to love 3M Command Strips!!!!

Lexinverts

Thanks for sharing. I have the Red Sea Cabinet ventilation fan, and it is really noisy. I might have to try out the Cooler Master instead!

whoadude

Thanks for sharing. I have the Red Sea Cabinet ventilation fan, and it is really noisy. I might have to try out the Cooler Master instead!

Does your cabinet still get very hot with the fan? I have a 1/5 hp chiller in mine with the red sea fan on and the cabinet still gets super hot when the chiller runs. I'm debating on just having it run outside the cabinet although it wont look as pretty.