Converting from Saltwater to Freshwater - Not exactly throwing in the towel...

First and foremost - thanks to everyone for the advice over the past 5 years. I had a major tank crash due to brooklynella and lost all my livestock. It had been an enjoyable adventure up to this point, but looking back, the reality is that it's also been a very time consuming and expensive hobby. I know I don't want to "abandon" the tank, but I just can't continue to invest that amount of time and money. I am seriously considering conversion to freshwater. Possibly cichlids. I recognize this is a reef forum, but wondering if anyone else has found themselves in the same situation, and seek any advice you may have.

As of now, I have a 55 gallon tank full of live rock, a few corals and a shallow sand bed. I've seen pictures online of some nice cichlid tanks that in my opinion, somewhat resemble reef tanks. And if possible, I'd like to reuse whatever I can (after I find a new home for the corals, of course).

R1junkie

Honestly I went the opposite way from cichlids to salt, but yes if you get the african cichlids the tank will look very simular, they love lots of holey rocks to hide in and sand to dig in. Africans are some of the most colorful of the freshwater fish also, make sure you read up on compatibility of the different kinds though because a lot of them aren't compatible with each other.

Thank you R1! I've had great success with freshwater tanks in the past, but have never had cichlids. In your experience, has the saltwater tank been more difficult to maintain than the cichlids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve L

My local LFS has what looks like a 55 gallon tank that is way overstocked with very colorful cichlids. There must be like 30 or so in there. It is very beautiful and all of those fish must be a lot of work, but I can see the appeal.

Thanks Steve. I'm willing to give it a try. I still have a few corals to find a home for and the swap begins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk