Controller info..

Reddog170

Well I have spent a fair amount of time researching controllers. This is some of what I have found.
I will start with the Reef Keeper Elite: You should be able to pick one up for around $400. They have a track record for dependable performance. They will run pretty much all of your equipment. All in all seem pretty good. Some of the people in the club say that when the "new" model comes out it can be hard to get stuff for the one you have, they also say that there are some glitches in the programming that may or may not effect how it works. Final opinion, decent controller, decent price. I give it (just from my research) 8 out of 10
Now for the Apex Aqua Controller 3. Well I have heard a TON of complaints about this version. I will come back to that. The Apex controllers do have a good record for performance. The have been a dependable unit that can also run all your equipment. They can be had for around $500 ready to go.
Now for what complaints I have heard about. I have heard the new firmware is unstable. They are hard to program and have a ton of glitches. All in all they seem ok, but still need some work on the new system. From my research I would say a 5 out of 10
And now for the unknown, the Reef Angel. Until I started looking into the controllers I had never heard of them. Well I now am willing to put it in this comparison because they are competing with them. They can control all of your equipment, they seem dependable and they cost about $200. This still has some bugs, it is very new to the market, and very few use them or heard of them. I have spent more time researching this one because of those facts. Not much info out there but the company will talk to you for as long as you need to answer all your questions. They are improving there firmware, and adding more add on's all the time. My opinion from my research, 7 out of 10, considering they continue to improve.
For my needs, I think i will try the Reef Angel, right now I just want it for temp control, light timing, ATO (which is included with the controller) and some parameter monitoring.
Please feel free to post your thoughts on this. There is very little comparison results on controllers and the more info we can get the better the decision we can make when we buy one. Shaun

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm no expert on controllers, Ive been using a Reef Keeper lite for a few months now just for temp control (heater and chiller). I just added PH monitoring.

When I saw your post, I checked out the reef angel. I'd be afraid of the "open coding", I know they say it's easy, but I checked out their forum, and saw some of the code...I have trouble getting every letter and . / \ and such in a URL, I could just imagine trying to find the typo in x amount of lines of code...but that would be my problem maybe not yours.

The other thing that would make me cautious is, the forum, if you check some of the threads questions go un-answered. My guess is there aren't many users so not many answers. But from your info it sounds like maybe the answers come from customer service. Also being a new company it looks like not much selection for expandability, and will the company make it and be around when you need them.

I use the Reef Keeper lite, and will probably upgrade to the Elite soon. I just updated to the latest firmware. The new firmware is intuitive and makes programming very easy. They also have quite a few modules available. The D/A forum has quite a bit of info so if you need help at 10:38pm christmas eve you still might find the answer.

If I were selfish I'd like you to get the Reef Angel so we can see if it's any good. But, since I like to think I'm not selfish I would recommend the RKE as I feel from my experience it's a good product.

If you go with the Reef Angel please keep us posted...if it's a good product you're helping the company and others. If it's not then your saving others, from potential issues.

Reddog170

From the point that I had started to look at the Reef Angel i have had many members of the club wanting info on it should I get one. When it comes to people that are looking to buy something to basically take control of a large investment they want to know it is good. Well I have decided to give it a try. Now I do have back ups just in case.
I will post more on it after I get one. Hopefully it is as good as Robert says it is, he is the one you talk with when you call customer support. Shaun

steved13

PREMIUM
Cool, I'll be looking for your updates. The one thing I didn't say before and I meant to...the price is very good.

LandonL

I have the RKE and the Apex. The Apex is by far a superior product.
You mention tons of problems with the Apex? Like what? I have not seen many other than people having a little bit of difficulty programming them from the start. With the RKE there has been module failures, design flaws, salinity probe failures, missed deadlines, buggy firmware, tank crashes, etc. The list goes on forever. Take it from someone who owns both products. When the RKE was on my main tank, it was a constant problem. I have had zero problems with the Apex since it replaced my RKE. Your pricing is a little off also.
The Apex is actually cheaper and you get more when comparing it to similar RKE packages. The $400 RKE package doesn't have a networking port, you have add the $120 RKM-NET for that, or get the $500 package. The standard Apex comes with 4 more switch inputs, 4 0-10v variable speed ports, more web features, better firmware, power backup/outage port, etc, all for less money. Take my advice, don't end up with buyers remorse. Get the Apex.

chipmunkofdoom2

I'd be afraid of the "open coding"...

"Open source" is software that you can change and modify (if you are able or want to) to meet your exact needs without violating the software vendor's copyright and putting yourself in hot water. Open source software is typically clearly documented so if you would like to make changes, you may.. it doesn't mean you have to know anything about programming at all. Android is an open source operating system for phones.. not a single person who has an Android phone had to write code to get their phones working.

From the manufacturer's site:

What can the out-of-the-box preloaded code do?

* Light Scheduling
* PWM dimming
* Temperature monitoring
* pH monitoring
* ATO
* Wavemaker
* Feeding mode
* Water change mode

For more information, visit the About the preloaded code tutorial.

tnwillia

I'll agree with LandonL, I have the RKE NET, Juan has the Apex. I've been fighting mine since new and Juan hooked his Apex up and ran with it. I've got my RKE settled down now but everything LandonL said is true, if I had it to do over I'd have the Apex but to much money tied up in the RKE to change now. Good luck which ever way you go!

steved13

PREMIUM
"Open source" is software that you can change and modify (if you are able or want to) to meet your exact needs without violating the software vendor's copyright and putting yourself in hot water. Open source software is typically clearly documented so if you would like to make changes, you may.. it doesn't mean you have to know anything about programming at all. Android is an open source operating system for phones.. not a single person who has an Android phone had to write code to get their phones working.

From the manufacturer's site:

I'm a little familiar with open source. I saw that info on the manufacturers site when I checked it out.

I also saw things like this:

Im still lost..... here is what I believe to be the PDE that I
generated:

// Autogenerated file by RAGen (v1.00), (11/11/2010 01:04)
// RA_111110_0104.pde
//
// This version designed for v0.8.5 Beta 7 or later

#include <ReefAngel_Features.h>
#include <ReefAngel_Globals.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <OneWire.h>
#include <Time.h>
#include <DS1307RTC.h>
#include <ReefAngel_EEPROM.h>
#include <ReefAngel_NokiaLCD.h>
#include <ReefAngel_ATO.h>
#include <ReefAngel_Joystick.h>
#include <ReefAngel_LED.h>
#include <ReefAngel_TempSensor.h>
#include <ReefAngel_Relay.h>
#include <ReefAngel_PWM.h>
#include <ReefAngel_Timer.h>
#include <ReefAngel_Memory.h>
#include <ReefAngel.h>

// Timer used to indicate when to dump the parameters
ReefAngel_TimerClass ParamTimer;
void setup()

And that was enough for me. As I said it might be for most, but not for me.

Reddog170

In our club alone we have had several people have the Apex just quit, shut down. No reason why as it powers back up and runs correctly again. Also I have been hearing and reading about program problems with the new software from Apex causing unwanted timer glitches and one reefer posted on our site "Biggest piece of junk I ever owned" Now I am sure that he had some issues that he may have caused but I have noticed a LOT of "Brand new barely used" Apex systems for sale, more than I have seen before. I also got a lot of "The Apex cant do that" to some of my questions.
With the RKE I got bummed when it only starts out with 4 controllable plugs, pc connection is extra and the programming is solid, as in you cant go out of the norm.
I am sure, without doubt that the Reef Angel is not without its bugs and problems. I just look at things this way, if there truly is a good controller for only $200 then why not? And if it totaly bites then people should know. Either way it is worth the money for me to try.
There will never be a perfect controller. There is never going to be a way to plug things in and never think about it again. In the end the master controller must always be the reef Keeper themselves. Not an electronic machine that we may have. I am just wanting to reduce my timers, temp controllers and ATO systems into one unit, that's it. Shaun