Considering a BSJ, couple questions for the club!

ScubaPrawn

Hi guys. I'll be starting my new tank soon and I really want to get a BSJ.

Please advise on whether what I've learned is correct. I'll put it into a list to make it easier to read.

1. BSJs should QT'd for six weeks without exception.

2. Putting a BSJ as the first fish is helpful because you can have the temperature at 76-77 degrees and increase the temp every two weeks so the BSJ gets used to it and other fish aren't adversely affected.

3. 3 inches of sugar fine sand is a deep enough sand bed as long as you add some small rubble whereever the BSJ decides to go.

4. Putting eggcrate on the bottom of the tank to put the liverock on top of does not help keep the live rock stable b/c the BSJ will still dig under and around the live rock and it just decreases the depth of the sand bed.

5. BSJs are awesome!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to hearing some responses!

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

tnwillia

Welcome to RS!

They are beautiful fish just get one, they are also big time jumpers, I had mine for almost two years before he jumped out of my "covered tank" one day while I was at work. They are very healthy fish, have to be because of the digging & tunneling they do. My sand bed was 2.5" to start, between the BSJF and my Pistol shrimp they changed that to anywhere from 1" to 7" in places across the tank. My BSJF had homes built under every rock and moved as needed, I would not use the Eggcrate under the rocks, your opting for fish that dig, build the tank to support their joy! The scare very easy. I would not use sugar sand but a mix of different sizes based on the building fish you will keep. Understand you will not have a crystal clear tank with a BSJF they dig all the time and stir up the substrate.

Just my .02, others will jump in to help here. Good luck!

1. yes. But, I don't because I buy my fish from a source I know & trust QTs the fish correctly.
2. I ran mine at 78.0 +/-1 degree without problems, he was not my first fish.
3. No sugar sand for me. 3" is good
4. No eggcrate for me.
5. Yes!!!!! One day I'll get another.

DSC01732.jpg

michael_cb_125

Welcome to RS ScubaPrawn!

At least you did some reading before just buying the fish, these little guys can be tricky.
Here are my thoughts on your list:
1- While I am a huge fan of QT'ing fish (all my angels go through it) I do believe that in some cases a QT can do more harm than good to a healthy jawfish. I am not trying to plug LiveAquaria, but this is the only place I would consider getting a BSJF. The Divers Den section has them frequently and these fish have been conditioned and (QT'd if needed) are eating well. IMO these fish should just be added to a well established DT before any other fish. I know I am in the minority on this.

2- I would try to keep the tank in the mid 70s if at all possible. Not only will it benefit the jawfish (which is found in cool waters) but in the long run it will benefit the entire tank and all it's inhabitants. Do not start at 75 and try to hit the 78-81 degree mark everyone tells you about. Keep it cool, you wont regret it.

3- I think you are talking about oolite sand, very fine and soft texture. IMO this is not the best substrate for these fish. Look for fine substrate with shells, coral fragments, etc.
Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Reef Substrate is a great sand for jawfish, plus it is live sand and helps to cycle a tank.

4- Dont mess with eggcrate, just put the rock in before the sand.

5- Jawfish are awesome and not all are the same. Some tend to stay in their burrows more, while others may swim around all the time.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Here is King Jose:
DSC01362.jpg

~Michael

ScubaPrawn

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm definitely planning on buying from Live Aquaria or Vivid Aquarium. My LFS don't usually carry BSJs. Some of the BSJs I've seen on Diver's Den look dark and not the bright yellow ones I've seen in the forums--should I try holding out for a bright yellow one (which I haven't seen for months on DD) or assume it's just the pics?

As for the sand, I'm planning on using Aragamax Sugar Sized Sand and mixing in some crushed coral where the BSJ makes his/her home; is that going to be ok? It sounds like it might be a prob.

Also, how cloudy does the water get? I really enjoy the clear water look, but if I have to sacrifice it for the BSJ, I guess I will. Is there anything I can do to minmize the cloudiness (e.g., more water flow)?

Thanks again for your help. I'm looking forward to joining the club!

lcstorc

You will need to put more than just crushed coral for them to build with. They need various sizes up to about the size of a quarter. Mine use mostly shells around 1/4 in or so but there is a variety of sizes. They have even used frag plugs to build. If they don't have enough building material they have been known to go on hunger strikes until they get it. Also, they tend to change colors. The males will "flash" front have of body turns white and back half turns very dark blue. They can stay that way for months. My female got a lot darker about 3 months ago. I have no idea why but for now she stays dark.
Good luck. They are awesome fish but a bit of a challenge.
Oh, and I do have eggcrate under my rock. I don't know that I would or would not recommend it, but it works for mine.