concret plugs

mattie

RS Sponsor
does anyone have any info or knowledge on these concret plugs that some corals come on now adays . just curious as to the safety to leaching chemicals and such in to the tank.
i know some people here have used concrete blocks.

brian_e

i paid for my cement plugs i love them just dont go and add a whole lot of them at one time learn from my mistake but then again not a lot of people are going to add 200 at one time :)
Other than that i just got 150 more plugs in the other week iam only adding about 10 a week

cward43062

You can get them at Boston Aqua Farms. I put 100 of them in a bowl and let my RO/DI waste water rinse them for a couple of months to leach out anything bad.

brian_e

i got them from boston aqua farms
Just not a good idea to add so many at one time not to good on your ph when u do that

Cougra

I haven't heard of these concrete plugs but I've done a bit of research on creating concrete ponds. One of the main concerns with using the concrete in a pond is that if it isn't sealled properly then it'll start to raise the pH and hardness of the water. This process can take months of constant water changes before the concrete becomes relatively inert. Although it may seem like the raise in pH and hardness is a good thing for a marine tank, there is no control over the process which could lead to the water in the tank being slightly unstable.