Complete 9 year old established setup must go...

deanerk

I've been dreading having to do this for a while, but it is necessary now...

I got into this hobby about 9 years ago and have enjoyed it sooo much, but my poor tank has struggled due to my lack of some maintenance over the last couple years and I will be moving soon and simply can't move the tank with me. It needs to go, so I've returned to the community that served me so well in the past and provided me with hours and hours of enjoyable reading and invaluable information and help.

I need your help in finding a good home or homes for all of this. I have a friend who really wants to have my tank, but he has no experience in this and I've decided that my stuff needs to go to someone with experience. As I said, I've made some mistakes in keeping up with my tank maintenance and anything moved from the tank will require some very patient and slow acclimation to a new environment. I will be helping my friend to start with a new setup instead.

What have I done wrong? Well, I haven't done a water change in ages. I no longer have test kits, so the water chemistry may be scary... My skimmer hasn't been on in a couple months either, but I never really ran it all that often in the past. My cleaning crew is thin and I haven't seen many crabs in a while. My snails have been gone for a couple years and haven't been replaced. I have some bubble algae. An emerald crab would enjoy it.

What do I have? It's a 37g high tank that has remained pretty much unchanged for the last 5-6 years. About 70 lbs of sand, probably around 40 lbs of live rock encrusted with thick bright purple coraline algae and loads of small tube worms, etc. A painted black wood stand hiding a 10g sub tank with a BakPakII skimmer and Won Pro-Heat heater. The pump to circulate to the main tank works, but needs to be replaced soon. The overflow on the main tank needs a cleaning, but is in good shape. I built the cover to the tank and fitted it with a kit for two 65W CFs. I have new extra bulbs I would include. Lighting is powered by a ballast that is stored in a second cabinet next to the tank along with all other electricals including power strips and timers, and some storage space for food and stuff. 2 MaxiJet 900s circulate the water in the main tank. They both need cleaning but are working well, only a year or so old.

Live stuff? Well the sand and rocks are certainly teeming with worms and bugs. I have two fish. My false perc clown has been with me for probably 7.5 to 8 years. My beautiful royal gramma has been with me for 6.5 to 7 years. They get along great. They have been my only two fish for about the last 4 years since my little domino damsel died. He was an original inhabitant when the tank was first set up. Basically the tank has been remarkably stable over the years. I also have a banded sea star that has been with me for probably 6 to 7 years.

A couple years ago my clown lost his beloved big frogspawn. It went suddenly. I had one small sprig of pulsing Xenia that has overtaken the tank. It's on the rock and the tank walls and my clown enjoys that now. It's really a beautiful mesmerizing garden of pink. A couple ricordeas were accidentally buried by sand when I rearranged the power heads a few months ago and never came back.

It's painful to have to get rid of all of this, but to the right person who can convince me they will take care of it all better than I have been able to in the last couple years, the price is $0.

If there is interest in this, I will post some pics and answer any questions you may have about the setup. I live in Milwaukee, WI and will assist as much as I can with pickup, loading and transport.

Last edited:

deanerk

I wouldn't ship the setup other than dry goods parts left after it is broken down. You're not too far away. I would certainly help with break down and loading if you drove up here and may be able to come down to help you unload and do some setup.

I took some pics and I'll try to get them up here later tonight.

deanerk

Some pics of the setup are at the link below. Sorry the quality isn't so hot. My camera battery was dead, so I had to take them with my phone, but they're not bad for phone pics. Check my comments on the pics. My lack of proper maintenance lately has resulted in growth of the coralline on the glass and the pulsing xenia on the glass as well. There really is a lot of value still in this tank that I want to see go to a good home.

ImageShack Album - 9 images

deanerk

I haven't been around the forums for quite a while and coming back here has brought back a lot of memories of my adventure in reefing. I started out over at the Reef Aquarium Guide forums and moved here when it started up. I've spent most of my night reading here and am really looking forward to getting my buddy going with his tank. Maybe a year from now when I'm settled in my new place and I have the time again I can start fresh again...I will definitely be lurking here. (c:

Please spread the word about this offer. Thanks!

deanerk

I'm in Milwaukee. I know there are probably a lot of Chicago area reefers out there who could make the trip up. I know they do for Brewers/Cubs games! I won't even hold it against you if you are a Cubs fan. (c:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Once a reefer, always a reefer ;) You'll be back eventually!

Good luck with the move. I hope your new town's water supply has low TDS :D

SaltwaterSassy

:hallo: Hi Deanerk,

I sent u a pm earlier. Just wanted to mention that if you decided that my home would be a match, I am able to drive up to u and can transport your baby as well. I am located 5 minutes from Wisconsin :)

Thanks again!